Talk

Advanced search

dental treatment and breast feeding

(5 Posts)
Carameli Mon 27-Jul-09 17:00:21

need to go for some treatment and worried about breastfeeding afterwards. As its just a one off and I have never really got to grips with expressing I was going to give ds(now 14wks) a bottle of instant formula, he already has one at night so is used to bottles.
How long after the anaesthetic would you leave it to breastfeed. Would you need to hand express any milk after to get rid of it in the milk so to speak?

any ideas?

puffylovett Mon 27-Jul-09 17:04:11

depends on the treatment.

I've been told by my dentist that a local anaesthetic won't affect breastmilk at all. Am due to have wisdom tooth removed asap and would have preferred a general but am having to have a local for this reason.

I think if you look on kellymom it should give you an idea how long it takes drugs to work through the system and be out of milk.

norktasticninja Mon 27-Jul-09 17:05:33

I remember asking this just after I'd had DD - IIRC novacaine is fine for BF and you shouldn't need to express and throw away the milk afterward. I'll see if I can find a link to the info for you...

Carameli Mon 27-Jul-09 17:06:17

thanks, would really appreciate it.

norktasticninja Mon 27-Jul-09 17:08:12

Here, click on Dental Treatment and Breastfeeding.

Hope your treatment goes well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now