Talk

Advanced search

Is there a 17 week growth spurt? Baby's hungry, I'm exhausted!

(10 Posts)
Vizzle Mon 27-Jul-09 14:22:33

BabyVizzle is 17 weeks and for the last 10 days she's been feeding all evening - 7.30, 8.30, 9, whinge, 10, not sleeping til 11.

I thought it might be a growth spurt, but it's lasting ages.

Both mum and mil are saying I should 'ignore current thinking' and give her baby rice. Argh!

I tried a bottle of ebm and formula last night in desperation, but she just screamed and went 'Yuck'.

She's been breastfed and putting on weight well - today the hv told me she 'looked 6 months'. Er... help!

Princeonthemove Mon 27-Jul-09 15:13:39

I would be interested to see the responses from other experienced BF's. I have got exactly the same situation at the moment! He is really not feeding for long enough too, losing interest after ten mins or so. Also 17 weeks

hercules1 Mon 27-Jul-09 15:14:57

Yes, there is a growth spurt around this time hence why lots of bfs mistakenly wean. Justkeep feeding and it will pass.

Vizzle Mon 27-Jul-09 16:20:51

Yay! It's not just us then. Anyone know how long it lasts?

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 27-Jul-09 16:25:54

There is a growth spurt at about 16 weeks. It can be quite a gruelling one, and for us it was longer than any other growth spurt.

The unsettledness (a word?!) probably lasted for a couple of weeks, but it did pass.

Just keep feeding, feeding, feeding. It's the baby's way of increasing your milk supply so that you satisfy her. Early weaning has health implications and most likely won't help.

Just keep repeating 'it will get better' smile

DitaVonCheese Wed 29-Jul-09 18:01:53

Massive massive growth spurt at 16 wks - lasted a month or so for us. It was hell but fed through it and did settle down, then ebf to 26 wks

(NAK, sorry!)

WoTmania Wed 29-Jul-09 18:26:42

CHrist Yes. Growth Spurt extraordinaire.
Feed Feed Feed. It's all you can do. Go to bed at 8 and lay feedng and reading. Don't get up til you absolutely have to (i.e you're going to pass out if you don't eat and your stomach is growling).
It will pass eventually I promise grin

Grendle Wed 29-Jul-09 18:46:00

Kellymom has some interesting stuff on 4 month olds here.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 29-Jul-09 18:50:19

Ha ha am in same boat here, dd also 17 wks and glued to the boob (and ds potty training!)
on the plus side I think it was that growth spurt with ds that lost me 5lb in about a week!

WoTmania Wed 29-Jul-09 20:30:43

Grendle - that's a brilliant link, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now