Talk

Advanced search

lifespan of frozen breast milk

(7 Posts)
bumpsnowjustplump Mon 27-Jul-09 08:41:18

My breast milk in the freezer is four months old next month. Can I still use it? Guide lines in the packet of bm bags I got is 3 - 6 months but this is german not uk guidelines...

It has been in a stand alone freezer not a fridge freezer if that make a difference???

Thanks

CarriePooter Mon 27-Jul-09 09:01:06

When I was in hospital the scbu nurse said 3 months in a fridge freezer and 6 months in a chest freezer. I don't know if these were the official guidelines.

Picante Mon 27-Jul-09 09:21:31

Carrie's right, but you'd know if it had gone off anyway - it smells funny and your baby wouldn't drink it!

bumpsnowjustplump Mon 27-Jul-09 09:35:48

It isnt a chest freezer but is sperate to the fridge so door isn't opened that often... the bag I have just taken out was frozen on the 1st April so is almost four months old. I will wait for it to defrost and smell it then....... I hope it is ok as I have a whole freezer full downstairs as ds wouldn't take a bottle and I am hoping to use it now we are starting to wean him... grin

Mummy369 Tue 28-Jul-09 00:10:54

Guidelines from The Breastfeeding Network are that you can use frozen breastmilk up to 6 months later. If you were giving directly as a milk feed, current advice would be to use it within 3 months, as nutritionally closer to meeting your baby's needs. However, as you plan to use when weaning (to solids, I'm assuming?) then mixed with food is fine to give up to 6 months after expressing + freezing. I'm hoping your baby has reached 6 months of age if you're starting to introduce solids?

bumpsnowjustplump Tue 28-Jul-09 08:30:46

He is only 5 and a bit months but we have been adviced to start by peadiatrician.. I was a bit shock by this but he does seem ready and keeps trying to grab food so i am going along with it. He is only having veg /fruit sticks and baby rice until he reaches 6 months though!!!

Mummy369 Sun 02-Aug-09 23:01:28

Obviously if the paediatrician has advised you to start there is a good reason. You are right to be cautious, though, and limit the variety of foods baby has until his digestive system is more ready. Good luck with weaning - lovely, messy stage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now