Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding and combined pill

(4 Posts)
jocie Sun 26-Jul-09 08:45:56

hi can anyone clarify for me. My ds2 is nearly 1 year and i want to go back on the pill as have quite heavy, painful periods.( suffered from endometriosis before pregnancies). With ds1 i stopped feeding at 1 year to go back on pill but would like to continue feeding ds2 as long as poss. We are only on 1 or 2 feeds a day. First thing in morn and mid afternoon(sometimes he doesnt want this one). He then has a bottle before bed.
I spoke to my doctor but he said it would prob refuce my supply but i don't know if thats right as im sure iv seen it written on here and kellymom that the supply thing isn't really an issue after 6 months. Can anyone clarify for me. Tiktok?

tiktok Sun 26-Jul-09 09:20:01

jocie, you can check and see what you think:

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

Just put combined pill into the search box.

browny Wed 29-Jul-09 23:52:05

Jocie, my doctor prescribed me the combined pill when my dd3 was 8 months old and my milk supply almost stopped completely after only four days of taking it sad, I was then prescribed the mini-pill and domperidone to boost milk supply, which thankfully worked. HTH

jimbobsmummy Thu 30-Jul-09 20:39:13

The recommendation is to go onto the progesterone only pill (mini pill) if breastfeeding. Alternatively you could consider a Mirena coil, that can be good in endometriosis too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now