Talk

Advanced search

Extended breastfeeders - come and answer my 1 question poll

(81 Posts)
theyoungvisiter Sat 25-Jul-09 20:02:32

I've read a number of posts recently from extended breastfeeders who mentioned that they've pretty much had enough, but their kids are keen to carry on.

I thought it was an interesting contrast to the stereotype that extended bfers are just needy mums are forcing breastmilk down their protesting children's throats.

So my 1 question poll, if there was a magic button to make your child/toddler self-wean, would you press it? At what age?

Or, if you've stopped bfing but used to be an extended breast-feeder, would you have pressed it and if so at what age?

HumphreyCobbler Sat 25-Jul-09 20:05:15

I would press it now. My ds is two and a half.

It is his habit of loudly demanding booby in public that is annoying me atm grin I had no intention of feeding him this long, so didn't think about what I CALLED it.

sybilfaulty Sat 25-Jul-09 20:05:57

Probably about 2.

I fed DD1 til 15 months and DD 2 til 13 months, but stopped both times because I was pg and felt too ill. Now I have DS (nearly 8m) I intend to feed him until he is 1 and then let him self wean, unless he is still keen as he approaches 2 when I'll try to slacken off. Looking at my DD2 now (2.3) I could not imagine feeding her, but perhaps I'll feel differently when I am actually doing it.

HTH.

hercules1 Sat 25-Jul-09 20:06:53

If there was an actual cut off point younger than when I stopped where I knew for a fact there were no more health/phsycological benefits to be had that would have been the age for me.

I fed ds till 4 mainly because he showed signs of getting asthma and excema and I wanted to him the best chance possible.

I fed dd till 3 because I also wanted to give her the best chance possible but she has never shown any signs of getting either so saw no benefit in doing it any longer.

If it came in bottles I'd have stopped a lot sooner tbh.

Olihan Sat 25-Jul-09 20:09:44

I did press it!

I bf until ds2 was 2 then decided as he wasn't showing any signs of wanting to stop that I'd encourage it. It was starting to feel a bit odd to me and I really didn't feel comfortable doing it so I told him milkies was all gone and that was that.

I initially intended to let him self wean but couldn't get that far.

theyoungvisiter Sat 25-Jul-09 20:10:01

Perhaps I should post my own answer too just to be fair grin

I am tandem-feeding DS1 (3 and a bit) and DS2 (7 months). I would have been happy if DS1 had self-weaned around 2.5 and if there was a magic button I would be pressing it very hard with both hands right now!

Humphrey that makes me grin. I was at a party the other day, carrying DS1 and he said very loudly "Mummy, I want to nibble your lovely bops" (his word for boobs). I was sooooooooo mortified. I literally didn't know where to look...

theyoungvisiter Sat 25-Jul-09 20:11:46

Olihan I admire your strength of mind.

Unfortunately I think DS1 might smell a rat if I told him the milk was all gone, but DS2 was still merrily chugging away.

Grendle Sat 25-Jul-09 20:13:04

Yes, there were times during the terrible 2s and also during the 4th year when I found it rather trying. In the end ds weaned by agreement just after I found out I was pregnant again when he was 3yrs 10 months. Dd is still feeding aged almost 2 and that's fine at the moment.

hercules1 Sat 25-Jul-09 20:14:14

So come on then where are all those people who are forcing it on their kids? grin

Feenie Sat 25-Jul-09 20:16:05

I would have pressed it at 2. Ds stopped on his 3rd birthday by agreement. He asked the night afterwards, was reminded of the agreement, and accepted it perfectly happily - it was obviously the right time for him then.

Babieseverywhere Sat 25-Jul-09 20:18:26

I can't make my mind up. Despite my nursing my 2.11 year old DD and 11 month old DS and finding it difficult at times, I am loathed to give up the advantages of having older nurselings like have an instant calm down, cheer up, go to sleep, comfort that owie, milk.

So purely on the advantages of nursing I would have to delcine to answer at the moment and see how things go in the future.

Lilyloo Sat 25-Jul-09 20:22:30

My dd slef weaned at 15 mths , i was ready then and glad she was

LeninGrad Sat 25-Jul-09 20:24:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuzzleRocks Sat 25-Jul-09 20:27:34

DD1 is 2yrs 4 mths. Tonight she asked for a feed and I offered her cows milk instead. I have a 4 month old and am finding it hard work to feed both. She seemed happy enough to take the cows milk so we shall see what happens from here.
I do feel a little bit sad but also, if i'm honest, a bit relieved that this may be the beginning of the end. So I guess I would say that this is magic button time.
I fully expect to, and will be happy to, feed DD2 for a similar length of time unless she chooses to wean earlier. Whether I feed her any longer will probably depend on whether I have any more children and how attached she seems to be.
As I say DD1 seemed happy enough tonight.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 25-Jul-09 20:37:47

Well actually, a few months ago I would have said yes I'd do that for DD but she's 2.9 now and self weaning and it's soooo hard to deal with.

DS is still going strong though! grin

theyoungvisiter Sat 25-Jul-09 20:39:58

it's quite interesting that only a few people so far have managed to make their child stop at a time of the mother's choosing.

I think I am a fairly strict parent, or at least I'm certainly not a pushover. Why am I such a softie over this one issue? It's all very conflicting.

PuzzleRocks Sat 25-Jul-09 20:44:22

Because it's such a beautiful bond. sad

mumofmaniacs Sat 25-Jul-09 20:46:54

Yes. I would press it at 2.

mumofmaniacs Sat 25-Jul-09 20:49:12

Actually you are all vile! Anything after a month is purely about the mother wink

theyoungvisiter Sat 25-Jul-09 20:49:37

It is, isn't it PR - and also it's so tied up with all the things you want to be as a mother - source of comfort, giver of cuddles, provider of food.

ButterbeerAndLemon Sat 25-Jul-09 20:49:54

Probably about two and a half. DS self-weaned at 3.2 and DD is still going at nearly 16 months.

LeninGrad Sat 25-Jul-09 20:55:14

PinkTulips Sat 25-Jul-09 20:55:27

with ds1 i would happily have ended it at about 22/24 months as i was pregnant and in agony.

LeninGrad Sat 25-Jul-09 21:01:47

Hulla Sat 25-Jul-09 21:04:10

whomovedmychocolate why is self weaning hard to deal with? I am aiming to let dd self-wean but have realised I know nothing about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now