Talk

Advanced search

Question about milk coming in?

(14 Posts)
nannynz Sat 25-Jul-09 16:58:27

Did you experience fullness of breasts/veins to see/hardness when there milk is coming in?

If you did not experience did you BF successfully?

TIA

whomovedmychocolate Sat 25-Jul-09 20:45:39

With DD all of the above, with DS none of the above. Have breastfed both successfully.

GirlsAreLoud Sat 25-Jul-09 20:46:40

Nope didn't experience those.

Did b/feed successfully but only after DD had been admitted to hospital for severe weight loss.

thisisyesterday Sat 25-Jul-09 20:51:15

yes, i was very engorged all 3 times,

mumofmaniacs Sat 25-Jul-09 20:53:18

Yep, every time. bloody awful. I'm an extended breastfeeder every time too, with no problems.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 25-Jul-09 20:53:32

Yes and yes with DS1

No and yes with DD

Yes, but to a lesser extent and yes with DS2

Are you worried about things nannynz?

IlanaK Sat 25-Jul-09 20:54:22

Never had this and have extended bf 3.

scienceteacher Sat 25-Jul-09 20:56:42

I have very successfully fed five children (no solids until about 8 months and then fed till 2-4 years). I only had the melon stage with one of my babies.

TheProvincialLady Sat 25-Jul-09 21:05:56

With DS1 very much so, and I could not BF.

With DS2 only a very little bit, and I have BF him very successfully for the last 7 months so far. If anything, my supply is a little too generous at times, though I did not get any leaks or squirts.

Why do you ask? Just curious.

leftangle Sat 25-Jul-09 21:12:25

I never got this and was worried - was afraid I didn't have milk. Hospital m/wives kept saying it will come soon but it never did. However I did and do still have plenty of milk - dd 13 weeks now and staying nicely on the 50th centile.

nannynz Sat 25-Jul-09 21:38:15

Phew, thanks for your answers.

I'm a maternity nurse and the current mother I'm working with does not experience this. With her first born the maternity nurse said to offer formula as a top up because baby is hungry. Baby number two (three days) is hungry too (and we want to avoid top ups) and mother is feeding at least 9 times a day, sometimes more and feeds last an hour at least more often than not. Baby is somewhat unsettled and she had a dry nappy for about six hours this morning and I was a bit worried about whether she was getting anything. But she's since had two wet nappies and a bowel movement. Eek, just realised this sounds a silly, I'm holding the baby between feeds at nights as she is prefering sleeping upright, and also sitting with mother while she does night feeds - suffering lack of sleeps and a wobble in my experience.

You've put my mind at rest, will continue feeds as usual.

thisisyesterday Sat 25-Jul-09 21:48:58

a breastfed baby ought to be feeding approx 8-12 times a day, so that's normal. in fact, she can add some mroe too if she likes if baby is hungry still :D

the important thing to remember is that the more she feeds the more milk she will make.
even if she isn't engorged she can probably see signs that baby is getting milk. you may be able to hear baby swallowing milk, and you can usually see baby take a big suck and then pause as she swallows.
they often come off with milk around their mouths which is another good sign!

as long as she is weeing and pooing then you;re prob doing fine
it's early days still

whomovedmychocolate Sun 26-Jul-09 10:17:38

Are you putting a tissue in the baby's nappy? Baby wee is not gigantic and a tissue will indicate it's presence better than feeling the nappy as they are pretty good at wicking it away.

Look for ears moving when feeding (the baby's obviously wink) for an indication of swallowing. Sounds like she's doing fine to me.

nannynz Sun 26-Jul-09 17:22:27

Yes, have being doing tissues. Had a few wet nappies today and waiting on a BM. Baby seems a lot calmer today, have being working on a consitent good latch. Thanks again for help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now