Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4 week old constipated.....help

(6 Posts)
nannyj Sat 25-Jul-09 09:27:32

My nearly 4 week old DD is breastfed and bottle fed due to weight loss and is constipated every 2 days then fine after doing a poo. am trying to give water too but she hates it but does take some. Has anyone got any advice? Should i try changing her formula, she's on cow and gate at the moment.

many thanks

Seona1973 Sat 25-Jul-09 09:36:37

is the poo hard when it eventually comes? If not, then your lo is not constipated. Both my lo's regularly went a few days between poos but as it was still soft when it arrived it wasnt classed as constipation. The altrnative is to fit in more breastfeeds and reduce the formula if you think that is the problem

nannyj Sat 25-Jul-09 09:51:15

It will be a bit hard at first then another one will come that is normal. Its just she gets really uncomfortable before hand and you can tell she's tying to strain. thanks for the speedy reply smile

tiktok Sat 25-Jul-09 09:53:00

It's likely to be the formula that's making the poo hard and uncmfortable, nannyj. Is fully bf an option for you?

nannyj Sat 25-Jul-09 10:09:14

Not really, she's lost too much weight when i've only done breastfeeding so i have to top up after a feed. I don't know why although i was induced had a 35 hour labour then c section, maybe thats the reason. Plus she was nearly a 10 pounder when born. Will try to get more water down her today.

tiktok Sat 25-Jul-09 10:10:45

nannyj - there are ways to repair and build up your milk supply, so do ask if you want more info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now