Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding while pregnant- is this nromal?

(5 Posts)
mama2leah Thu 23-Jul-09 16:50:45

i am now 37 weeks pregnant, for the past few days y breast are getting full, i haven't had this for a long time...this is ok? im also getting worried will i have enough colostrum for the new baby? and can i continue to feed my 12 month old 3 times a day, or will this increase?

BlueSmarties Thu 23-Jul-09 17:30:25

sorry -no advice but wanted to say still breastfeeding your 12 month old while heavily pregnant!!! You are a hero - well done you. Not easy to do but billions of benefits.

mrsgboring Thu 23-Jul-09 17:35:47

Well mine never felt full before birth but then I don't feel full very often anyway. I think what you describe is fine.

Verity79 Thu 23-Jul-09 17:55:06

I'm currently tandem nursing my 3 y/o and my 19 m/o and 28 weeks. I've just got back my milk (well colostrum anyway).

You will have enough colostrum for baby AND your toddler will have an immune system boost to boot. I (obviously) tandem nursed after DD2 was born and my milk didn't come in until day 3 so even though my 20 m/o picked up her feed frequency to that of my newborn it didn't bring my milk in any earlier than normal.

I felt that the frequent nursing helped me avoid the supply problems that plagued me first time around.

DD1 occasionally has 3 feeds a day even now so I don't know how it will effect a 12 m/o if they re used to that amount of feeds a day normally. I would imagine though that mummy sitting about with her boob out feeding the new baby might increase the interest in nursing if not actually the amount wanted (if that makes sense??).

Good luck with tandem nursing and remember you can feed them separately if you want. I physically tandem nursed only for a few months as it got too much sensation for me so I switched to taking it in turns.

llareggub Thu 23-Jul-09 18:01:15

Well done!

I tandem fed until DS1 self-weaned about a month ago. When new baby arrived he initially upped his feeds and fed whenever he saw baby feeding. It was quite handy to have him around to relieve my poor norks when they felt uncomfortable.

The more both boys fed the more I had, so don't worry. Your body knows what to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now