Talk

Advanced search

How much milk for 4 month old FF baby?

(16 Posts)
shish Thu 23-Jul-09 12:23:41

My ds will be 4 months on Saturday and he has just upped his milk to 7oz 5 times a day. He was crying for more at the end of most feeds so we increased it from 6 to 7oz at the weekend. His weight is fine and I had him weighed this morning, but HV says that's too much and he should probably be having between 4-5oz, maybe 6oz??? She thinks that's why he may be bringing up bits of milk - but he's always done this.

Any thoughts??

LuluMaman Thu 23-Jul-09 12:32:48

IME and IMO a FF baby should be offered as much milk as they want as often as they want.

if your baby was breastfed, you would not know how many ounces they were taking

if your baby is draining bottles and crying for more, doing anything other than offering more milk is useless

babies have days and weeks when they are hungrier than others

some days he will drain all his 7 oz bottles, and some days he won't

35 ounces of milk at 4 months is not an excessive amount IMO

pigletmania Thu 23-Jul-09 12:39:28

IMO I dont think that there is a finite amout of milk as each baby is different and some will want more and some like my dd will want less. It does say on the formula box a basic age/scoop ratio but mine drank less than on the box. I still offered it like I would the breast as much as they need it on demand.

shish Thu 23-Jul-09 12:52:10

He's actually been more settled at night since we've increased his milk - I don't know if this is just coincidence.

you Thu 23-Jul-09 17:57:49

My 17 week DD is having aroundf 5-6 oz 6 times per day so much of a sameness really. As Lulu said I think demand feeding is the way to go with all babies, regardless if ff or bf.

And HVs are never happy- mine told me last time to water down her milk during night feeds so eventually she'd be having plain water and wouldn't bother to wake. hmm

And this is for a baby under the 25th centile!

LuluMaman Thu 23-Jul-09 18:00:13

if he was hungry, shish, it is not a coincidence, but who knows with babies !!

that is bad advice re watering down the milk

babies should wake in the night for feeds and that is normal, and a baby on the 25th centile should not be offered water in the night or watered down milk! can;t believe you were given that advice for such a young baby

this idea that babies should sleep through by a certain number of weeks and especially if they are on formula is just daft

pigletmania Thu 23-Jul-09 20:54:03

It is only when dd was 22 months old that i started watering down her milk at night, not for a young baby, no

Wigglesworth Thu 23-Jul-09 21:14:02

IMO there are no hard and fast rules as to how much milk a FF baby should have. They give an average on the packaging but it is just that, an average, every baby is different. Some HV's are full of BS sometimes, if his weight is fine and he is happy offer him as much as he wants. The bringing a bit back up at the end is perfectly normal and many babies do this, especially since he is still really young.

lizziemun Thu 23-Jul-09 22:38:34

DS is also 4mths and in the last few days has increased to every other bottle 7oz then 8oz bottle. This can be every 3 or 4 hours, other days he may only want 4oz but then wants feeding every 3 hours.

FWIW about going through the night babies will do it when they are ready. DD1 didn't sleep through the night until she 2yrs but was drinking 9oz of hungry formula every 4hours since about 4mths. Where as dd2 never drank more then 4oz every 3 or 4 hours from about 3wks, but she went through the night from 9wks.

shish Fri 24-Jul-09 09:56:28

Thank you. I was interested to know what other babies of this age are drinking. I'm gettin a bit fed up of HV's now..

elkiedee Fri 24-Jul-09 10:01:36

ds1 had as much or more milk as this at your baby's age, way over guideline amounts. He's huge now at 2 years old and drinks lots of cow's milk but has never been chubby, just tall and sturdily built and looking twice his age. He also woke for night feeds. He continued to bring a bit back up past 6 months and that gradually stopped, as does his bf baby brother at just under 6 months.

Welshygirl Fri 24-Jul-09 11:48:32

My DS is 4 months and has 7oz 6 times a day he weighs 15lbs.

CyradisTheSeer Fri 24-Jul-09 12:48:30

Message withdrawn

shish Fri 24-Jul-09 15:05:01

Thank you mums. I give him what he wants. Looking at what you guys are saying my ds is doing just fine. very reassuring

I have to say that although he does bring some milk back up it's not as much as it used to be and it's usually always curdy-looking - so that's digested milk right??

CyradisTheSeer Fri 24-Jul-09 15:19:04

Message withdrawn

shish Fri 24-Jul-09 19:41:03

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now