Talk

Advanced search

Swapping Formula?

(11 Posts)
TurtleAnn Thu 23-Jul-09 11:51:36

Stop reading now if you are going to tell me to breast-feed, it didn't work for DS.

I am using C&G Ready Made Milk 1, but all my local London shops seem to be experiencing supply problems. Should I swap to another brand, e.g. Aptimil and which would you recommend as being most similar to C&G?

DS has a sucking difficulty so we need a brand with a consistency very very near C&G. He can't suck water from a bottle because it flows too fast. And there is only 1 teat on the market he can use - mothercare variable flow. DS just doesn't get what to do with his tongue. I spent 3-weeks going through hell trying every teat on the market and I can;t bear the thought of going through that again with a new formula consistency. (Dreading weaning, going with BLW!)

Advice?
Experience?
Oh yeah, and we think he is allergic to cows milk, but can't use soya because he is a boy.

rubyslippers Thu 23-Jul-09 12:18:40

formulas are essentially much of a muchness

if you think he has an allergy then i would speak to your GP about swapping as formula is made from Cows Milk IIRC so he may need to be prescribed something?

why can't he have soya?

tiktok Thu 23-Jul-09 12:44:53

turtle, best idea would be to call the manufacturers and ask them. There is a phone no. on each pack.

Sullwah Thu 23-Jul-09 14:27:07

Or just have a go with one of the 200ml containers of the ready made in the other brand.

Not sure how old your LO is - but I was worried about this with my 6 month old twins just before we were embarking on a two-month road trip in the US. We swapped brands frequently due to availability wherever we were staying and the boys didn't seem to care one jot.

nannynz Thu 23-Jul-09 15:47:07

SMA is slightly thicker than any other formula I've used but it does have an awlful grey colour.

Aptimal stage one premixed is quite similar to G&G powder when mixed.

Perhaps get a small pre made carton of the most common formulas near you and try a little.

Or call C&G and ask if there is a reason for the supply being hard around your area. Maybe they are changing packaging or something.

If you think he has an allergy would definetly seek advice from a doctor, perhaps they can prescribe milk free formula. Also has he being checked for tongue tie as that may be why he's having difficulty sucking.

TurtleAnn Thu 23-Jul-09 19:01:03

Thanks,

C&G - I e-mailed today and they are experiencing supply problems and weren't able to say when these would be fixed, so I do have to change.

Aptimil - I think I'll give this one a go.

Tongue-tie - He does have a small, insignificant tongue-tie that the surgeon refused to cut. He basically is a bit developmentally behind and munches the teat rather than sucking so does best with a variable flow.

Soya - Contains high amounts of oestroegans and is not recommended for baby boys as it can (in some cases not thoroughly researched) harm development of the testes.

Cow Milk allergy - we are seeing the dermatologist in a couple of weeks to get tests for egg and cow milk allergies so will use Aptimil in the meantime.

Thank you, I can always rely on Mumsnetters for excellent experience and advice.

TurtleAnn Thu 23-Jul-09 22:26:11

Aptamil is made by the same company as Cow and Gate and I think are experiencing the same supply issues!

TriciaW Fri 24-Jul-09 13:13:25

I have spoke to Aptamil and Cow and Gate about these supply issues.

They have said that they are both experiencing problems with ready made milk in Tesco and Sainsburys, but Asda and Boots should have loads. Asda will always have more choice.

Please pass this info on to anyone you know!!

brettgirl2 Fri 24-Jul-09 16:24:47

SMA is definitely thinner than C&G. DD hated C&G I think for that reason.

You may find though if he is a couple of weeks older the 'speed' issue may well be less of a problem.

TurtleAnn Fri 24-Jul-09 21:26:51

Ocado have supply problems too.
C&G left me with the impression this was a factory/ transport issue rather than an individual supermarket issue.
My local Boots doesn't have any either and we don't have an Asda.

nappyaddict Sun 26-Jul-09 13:29:44

Hipp Organic is quite thick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now