Talk

Advanced search

Constipation in 3mth old, gp says to give pear juice???

(5 Posts)
PatTheHammer Wed 22-Jul-09 15:30:30

Ok, any ideas on this advice:

SIL took 3mth old nephew to gp's today as he has been having trouble going for a few days and is getting very distressed. He is mixed fed (2 bottles of formula a day, was on 1 a day but recently upped it to 2 as she is going back to work in 6 weeks).

GP advised boiled water inbetween feeds and to boil up pears and use the water to mix with formula.

I am a bit hmm as never heard of this before. Heard of Prune juice but can you give this to a LO who is not weaned?

Any ideas or advice welcome?

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-09 16:22:53

Easiest thing would be to drop the second bottle of formula, wouldn't it? Seeing as how this is what seems to have caused the constipation? She can then re-offer the 2nd one when he's a bit older and over this problem.

I don't think pear juice is all that terrible idea, though, to be honest...as long as it is dilute, which it is, a three month old will probably be ok.

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-09 16:23:31

I speak from no medical or nursing quals, BTW, and am just using my knowledge as a BFC and common sense as a mother

mummyplonk Wed 22-Jul-09 16:27:02

DS had awfull constipation (still does) we boil up raisins and give him the juice from that, seems to work a treat.

PatTheHammer Wed 22-Jul-09 16:34:50

Thanks Tiktok and mummyplonk for advice. Will pass on to SIL asap, she has gone out to buy some peasr and will give this a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now