Talk

Advanced search

10mo, bf, is a lightweight, being nagged about it...

(29 Posts)
LeonieSoSleepy Tue 21-Jul-09 19:00:47

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 21-Jul-09 19:05:11

Message withdrawn

IsItMeOr Tue 21-Jul-09 19:17:32

I think ignore the HV when the evidence of your DDs vigorous good health is so apparent grin.

LeonieSoSleepy Tue 21-Jul-09 19:29:19

Message withdrawn

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:10:42

Message withdrawn

NumptyMum Wed 22-Jul-09 10:29:40

We've got a skinny active DS, though he didn't crawl at that age (had heart set on walking, only learnt to crawl after he fell over in middle of floor and was stuck grin). HV was always fine about his health/weight.

But for what it's worth, you might want to ask whether your hv is using the new WHO weight charts which are more compatible to bf babies, which show higher weight gain initially then drop-off as they go on (can't remember details). I think I read about it in the NCT newsletter, will have quick burrow to see if I've kept it...

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-09 10:32:41

LeonieSoSleepy, it is such a shame when confident mothers are made to feel unconfident - you see the evidence of your own eyes that your dd is healthy, active, energetic, full of personality and character, and yet somehow the words of your HV have made you concered.

I honestly don't know of any research or guidance that talks about height and weight being no more than one centile apart - perhaps ask her about this? Maybe it exists, and if so she can share it with you and you can read exactly what it says.

I have here the guidance given to HCPs about using the newer weight charts: 'Because it is difficult to measure length and height accurately in pre-school children, successive measurements commonly show wide variation. If there are worries about growth, it is useful to measure on a few occasions over time; most healthy children will show a stable average position over time.'

Routine measurements of height are not recommended. When 'there are worries about a child's weight gain, growth or general health' it is considered appropriate - I suppose the HV saw the fall in weight centiles and was 'worried'. Many HVs would not be, as you know.

Weights are not recommended to be taken any more frequently than once every 2 months over 6 mths of age (unless there is concern - is there concern, really?).

She's being weighed twice as frequently as guidance. It's precisely because too-frequent weighing is misleading, unnecessary and anxiety-causing that the guidance to weigh no more often than 2-monthly exists.

Clearly, there is no reason for you to restrict foods and/or breastmilk, and you are not doing so, from all accounts. Offer her appropriate solid foods in a way which makes it easy for her to have them (so things she can hold, things she enjoys, things which are interesting and varied, inc calorie dense foods - common sense ) alongside breastfeeding when she wants. Ask your HV what is wrong with what you are doing, and judge from her reply how seriously to take her.

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-09 10:34:43

Yep, good point from Numpty.

You can plot your dd retrospectively on the new charts - you can find copies of the new charts on line, too

www.rcpch.co.uk/charts

Bettymum Wed 22-Jul-09 10:34:48

What does your HV mean about keeping the centiles only 1% apart? How on earth do you do that? My DD is 25th for weight and 75th for height, and has been since about day 1.
You sound like you're doing a great job and letting her lead the way with feeding. My way of getting DD to put a little weight on...we go out for coffee every Saturday morning and I let her share my cake .

NumptyMum Wed 22-Jul-09 10:34:57

Can't find NCT info, but read this on BBC website. According to this the new charts were being introduced from 11 May, so again perhaps check with HV?

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-09 10:35:19

Wrong link. Will check and post again.

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-09 10:36:26

Numpty, charts intro'd on May 11 are for babies born after that date - but there is nothing to stop indivodual mothers plotting retrospectively, and in Leonie's case, could well be illuminating.

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-09 10:37:00

www.rcpch.ac.uk/Research/UK-WHO-Growth-Charts

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:37:27

Message withdrawn

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-09 10:45:54

Leonie, I have just plotted her on the new charts. She is just below the 50th centile for weight. She is just above the 25th centile for height.

This is the opposite of what your HV told you.

Of course the height/length could be wrong, as it is often inaccurate.

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:48:31

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 22-Jul-09 10:50:02

Leonie, Tik's advice is spot on. The NICE Guidelines are there for a reason and your H/V isn't following them. She shouldn't be weighed so frequently if she is healthy. If she isn't healthy, then she should be referred, but micro managing her weight isn't really helpful, is it?

If you are worried, then ask for a referral.

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:50:18

Message withdrawn

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:51:58

Message withdrawn

tiktok Wed 22-Jul-09 10:54:48

Leonie - please share all this with the HV, if you can, obv staying polite and stuff

I recently had the chance to sit in on a training event for the new charts, with a roomful of HVs - all nice, kind, professional and experienced people as far as I could see.

This - the core of their work, surely, supporting parents to promote the well-being of their babies and using weight monitoring as part of this - was shown up as being a massive black hole of ignorance and myth. Most of them (asked by the trainer) had had no formal training or assessment in weight monitoring at all - they had picked it up by the 'sitting next to Nelly' method of observing a qualified HV in the clinic.

This is not a good method of teaching as it perpetuates bad practice.

NumptyMum Wed 22-Jul-09 10:55:06

WHAT!!! I can't believe that you would be in trouble for not seeing HV! I only ever see my HV if I ring and ask her to come round...

hercules1 Wed 22-Jul-09 10:58:15

mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/792079-My-blood-is-boiling-at-this-thread tiktok - would you mind speaking some words of wisdom on this thread as there is some barmy stuff being said about bf!

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:58:30

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 22-Jul-09 11:00:15

Leonie, I speak from experience smile

If you don't want a confrontation, get your DD seen by the GP. Say you are worried as H/V was concerned, or something. Bring a copy of the NICE Guidelines and ask why she has to be weighed so frequently. Is there an underlying medical reason? If so, then she needs to be referred. If not, then she's healthy and you won't get in trouble as you took her to the GP. smile

win win! grin

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 22-Jul-09 11:03:34

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now