Talk

Advanced search

Changing from breast to bottle or drop the feed altogether?

(8 Posts)
interleukin Tue 21-Jul-09 15:01:54

Hey! would really appreciate some advice from those who have been here before - I'm returning to work in around 6 weeks [sigh] and DD is off to nursery. She's been BF the whole time (we tried for quite a while giving bottles of EBM with all the usual tricks from when she was around 9 weeks with no joy). She's currently 10 months, and I need to stop the afternoon feed. She's doing great with her solids, trouble is I've got into the pattern of BF after she has her lunch, to get her to have her afternoon nap (usually the only sleep of the day, for 1-1 1/2 hrs).

So, my question is do I either try giving her EBM (big stash in the freezer) before her nap & then try to settle her (we've used PU/PD at night)- and any tips for that?

Or should I just drop that feed altogether & try to break the 'milk-to-sleep' pattern while we're about it? She's still having a night feed [sigh again](anytime between 2 & 4.30), both sides, feeds for around 30 mins, so don't want to drop too much during the day & exacerbate the night munchies...

Any tips/experience greatly appreciated, thanks!

muddleduck Tue 21-Jul-09 15:20:43

how many days a week will you be at work?
by choice would you want to carry on with the bf during the day when you are not at work?

interleukin Tue 21-Jul-09 19:05:44

Will be working 3 days a week, and some weekends too. She'll be one the week after I start back, and I was planning on switching to cows milk & stopping BF around then anyway. I'll be doing shift work, so won't always be around first thing in the morning/last thing at night, and would just be more straighforward all round if she's not dependent on me. Also clinging to the hope that she'll go through the night once she's not BF....

expertinscunthorpe Tue 21-Jul-09 19:56:12

Can't help on the b/fing as stopped at 6 months but we did PUPD and then I was still using a bottle before a feed for naps but managed to drop it without any probs.

CMOTdibbler Tue 21-Jul-09 20:01:53

I'd leave it to nursery to sort out how to get her to have a nap when she is with them.

Just concentrate on getting her to drink water from a cup, then she can decide whether to have milk from a cup or bottle when she sees the others doing so, but you'll know she will get enough fluid in during the day

dan39 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:01:57

PUPD?

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 21-Jul-09 21:03:54

pick up/put down

interleukin Tue 21-Jul-09 22:19:10

Thanks for the replies!

She'll quite happily drink water all day long from her sippy cup & she's had EBM from it too with breakfast - I'm not really worried about her daytime fluid intake TBH, it's more the issue that breast-feeding gets her to sleep & if she's tired earlier in the day, she's wanting a feed in order to sleep. I'd rather know she's going to be able to get a nap at nursery than wait til she's there, just to make the whole thing less stressful for both of us, if you know what I mean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now