Talk

Advanced search

will my breasts eventually adjust to dd's random schedule

(13 Posts)
yawningmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 10:27:01

Don't read this if your baby does not sleep well at night. DD very rarely sleeps less than 5 hours at night. Most commonly she will sleep 7-8, occasionally she has slept more than 10, twice she has slept 12. (she does however cluster feed to the max during the day) she is 10 weeks old. She is completely random doing a 6 hour sleep one night, a 12 hour the next, a 9 the next etc and my breasts don't know what to do with themselves!!! Last night she did 12 and despite relieving the pressure slightly at 3ish I woke up drenched, rock hard and sore. They have been sore all day and while dd has drank every hour to hour and a half today they haven't quite recovered. So
A: will she ever become more patterned and predictable or
B: will my breasts just adjust to her as things are
C: any thing I should be doing differently
TIA

yawningmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 10:38:10

bump (ps it is night time here, so if I disappear it is past my bedtime)

yawningmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 10:46:11

bump

yawningmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 10:56:07

please

yawningmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 11:00:28

one more try

kingfix Mon 20-Jul-09 11:02:07

I can't be much help, just sympathetic as my ds (who is only 4 weeks tho) is much the same. What dop you think about waking her for feeds, say when you go to bed (or as late as you can manage if like me you go to bed at aroun 9 pm) and when the rest of the household normally gets up so at least those feeding times are set?
I'd like to get my ds on a bit of a predictable pattern too but don't know how

yawningmonster Mon 20-Jul-09 11:05:11

bless you kingfix for answering. I have thought about a dream feed but she is sleeping really well in general and don't want to jinx that, just hoping my breasts can survive. congrats on your lo btw.
Not too worried about the randomness of her pattern just about the effect on my breasts.

logrrl Mon 20-Jul-09 11:51:20

I am definitely no expert, but my 15 week old DS is erratic too...boobs and supply and baby have a cool relationship-seems to me that they sort themselves out(kellymom says that boobs are like a fast food restaurant-that always helps me). It can be uncomfortable when there is a long gap, but I don't think it's a cause to worry. Unfortunately every time I think regularity at night is coming, it ups and dashes off. At the moment he is regular-every 2.5-3hrs day and night grin...yawn...I am sure there are MNers out there who know all the proper sciencey stuff, but try digging around in kellymom?

dawntigga Mon 20-Jul-09 18:37:23

I'm glad it's not just me then!

Also, I seem to take ages to increase supply but only 24 hours to decrease which does not seem fair really.

I dread this time of night.

NotGettingMuchSleepAtTheMomentAndDreadingGrowthSpurtsTiggaxx

yawningmonster Tue 21-Jul-09 11:17:05

thanks with the replies. Logrrl when did you find your boobs started to go with the flow, dd seems to need different amounts different days and my boobs are clueless and tending towards too much rather than too little

yawningmonster Tue 21-Jul-09 11:27:35

any more advice

logrrl Tue 21-Jul-09 22:19:38

Hi
hmmm, I forget everything...but maybe about six weeks ago? Using less and less breast pads...too much is way better than too little I think! what age is your wee one?

yawningmonster Tue 21-Jul-09 23:32:06

she is 11 weeks today,still needing a lot of breast pads

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now