Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Enough milk

(4 Posts)
cpenguin Mon 20-Jul-09 09:59:45

Am breastfeeding my 2 week old, and think one breast is not producing enough milk. Can that happen? I had mastitis on one side last week, which has now cleared up but DD is very reluctant to feed from that side still. When she does feed from that side, I'm not convinced she is getting enough milk because it never satisfies her and she always wants the other side too. I have tried to express some from that side with pump and hand, and get very very little from it. How can I encourage more milk?

dawntigga Mon 20-Jul-09 18:40:18

It's proably more to do with having a favourite side than not enough milk.

Expressing has little bearing on how much milk you actually have.

HopingThisHelpsTiggaxx

tiktok Mon 20-Jul-09 19:02:37

cpenguin - not a big deal, honest. Most of us have a side the baby prefers, and a side that seems to produce more. It's fine for your baby to want two sides (or even three, or four) when she feeds.

Unless this is presenting a problem to your baby, you can just accept this is how your body is. Your baby may come back to the 'unfave' breast in time, too

Kezzabell Mon 20-Jul-09 19:09:14

cpenguin, my 16 week old son fed from both breasts up until about 12 weeks. He then went on a one boob only campaign, and is now as of two days ago, back on both.

He also preferred feeding on my right at first, then switched to my left. I think sometimes it has depended on how I hold him and how much and how fast my milk flows.

If you are concerned there's not enough supply on the one side, frequent feeding on that side will help boost your supply.

good luck with bfing, and congratulations on the birth of your child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now