Talk

Advanced search

Breastfed baby waking up often for few days before poo!

(11 Posts)
Warwickmum Mon 20-Jul-09 09:04:01

This is a bit related to a previous query I had in relation to how long a breastfed baby could go between poos!
My DS (24 weeks and ebf) is still very sporadic with poos - last week we had 2 in one day followed by one poo each of next two days. We now haven't had a poo for 6 days again. However, the last two nights (and this seems to happen often when no poo for a while) he has woken up a number of times through the night, with what I am thinking is pain from trapped wind (small orange mark in nappy this morning (TMI) so hoping poo is imminent!). He has been sleeping through for the last month or so, so these waking up episodes are not like him. It seems he only does this when he is 'due a poo' if he has not been for a few days. Last night he went to bed at 8.30pm, woke briefly at 10 when a cuddle sent him back to sleep. He then woke at 12, tried cuddle again and went back to sleep until 12.30. Then proceeded to spend next two hours (of mostly crying sad trying to get him back to sleep, including giving him a feed about 1am incase it was that(?). Changed nappy, spent some time rubbing tummy/doing bicycle movements with legs etc. Whilst upright he seems mostly ok although was doing bit of groaning. Once put down he would generally try and put thumb in to sleep but seems to be fighting something as he makes groans which seem to build until a point where it causes him to cry again. Am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or has same experience of baby who seems to have lot of trouble with wind trapped lower down. He has also been crying/screaming/jerking around a lot when feeding him the last couple of days, again a pattern I have noticed when poo due. Have asked HV and she just thinks it is a 'behaviour' he has got into !!!????Also checked with dr a while back about lack of poo and she said no build up she could find and ok for bf baby (which I know is the case). Any help for anything that I could try to ease his possible pain gratefully received.

shigella92 Mon 20-Jul-09 19:41:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

malloo Mon 20-Jul-09 21:20:43

my dd (21 weeks, also ebf) is very similar. poos very unpredictable and when theres not been one for a while it seems to cause all sorts of problems including waking up at night. she doesn't cry much though so doesn't sound like it's as bad as for your ds, shes just awake and grunting..! she loves the leg cycling thing though and it always calms her so I wonder if she is a bit uncomfortable. I also find she is sick a lot more when she's due a poo, my clothes are a state!! once the poo arrives she seems a lot happier until the next time. HV says is not a problem for bf babies not to poo for ages but suggested offering water but so far have not persuaded her to take any! sorry, I'm not really being very helpful as to what you can do but just wanted to let you know that we have a similar problem!

BertieBotts Mon 20-Jul-09 21:28:53

Ooh this happened to us, DS is a bit older though (9.5mo) - we had been having trouble with nights, he hadn't pooed for a few days but I didn't think anything of it as he has never been particularly regular. Then one day he strained, cried, I changed him and his poo was all firm like an adult one, then he cried a bit more and I was baffled, he then did a huge normal poo, like he had "uncorked" himself grin and was suddenly relieved and slept all night with no problems. So I think previous night problems were due to sore tummy.

Are you giving solids yet? If you are, fruit is good and raw bran is supposed to be excellent. If not, it's not worth starting early, but it is a light at the end of the tunnel .

IsItMeOr Mon 20-Jul-09 21:30:33

Oh no, my little one has a problem when he doesn't do a poo every day - gets really unsettled and has begun doing the crying/screaming/jerking around when feeding too. I had hoped he was getting better after 3 months, but is now 19 weeks and if you're still having problems at 24 weeks...

A friend whose DD really really struggled with digestion said that it got better at around six months, so maybe you just need to hang in there for a little longer.

She also tried the cranial osteopathy, which she thought helped, but it was properly fixed by growing out of it. My DH was reading up on CO and is not at all keen for me to take DS for it, although I don't think he found any suggestion that it would do any harm.

I do tummy massage when a poo is overdue (which I count as not having one every day, because when he went for six days it was horrible for him). Three times a day with a simple anti-colic massage seems to really help him, just now he has been getting more mobile I've got a bit lax. Am beginning to try to do it again now!

IsItMeOr Mon 20-Jul-09 21:33:35

Oh, my DS is also ebf and on infacol. I did try stopping the infacol a couple of weeks ago and found that his daytime napping got really unsettled, so restarted it. He seemed to get better, but now his daytime naps are a bit erractic again, so I suspect this might just be a phase. Not sure if that infacol does anything or not, but may be worth a try?

Massage was definitely the thing that made the big difference for my DS.

Warwickmum Mon 20-Jul-09 21:43:13

Thanks for the replies. It's not nice that other babies are having the same thing but it does actually help to know that he is not the only one!! He isn't having any solids yet - am trying to hold off to 6 months as we have history of IBS in family and don't want to potentially cause him problems by starting to wean too early. Guess the fact that I have that and my Mum has that has been concerning me a bit in relation to what he seems to be going through. Have tried giving water- it's quite hard to get him to take much, but even when he does I can't say it has much effect. Have been hoping that when he does start solids (6 months in week and half)it might sort it out a bit if he is eating plenty of fruit. The strange thing is that so far, he has never actually been constipated - all I can imagine is that he is absorbing so much from the milk he is getting that there isn't much left over, as it were, to be removed and so it has to build up for a while to cause him to need to go. The other thing is that until he was about 3 months old he pooed everyday, sometimes multiply??

IsItMeOr Mon 20-Jul-09 21:47:56

Warwickmum - I know what you mean about reassuring to know your baby is totally normal, even if some aspects of that particular normal kind of suck a bit grin.

Warwickmum Tue 21-Jul-09 08:32:43

Thankfully DS seemed to have much more restful night last night smile. He just woke up the once at 11.30) and after bit of cuddling, tummy rubs and a rather large trump (TMI?) he went back to sleep after about 15 min - a huge improvement on the three times and two hours of crying the previous night. On waking this morning he seemed to be trumping for England! I'm beginning to wonder if he supplements his milk with beans at night!! I'm always sure to try and wind him properly so it just amazes me where soooo much wind comes from! Anyway, hopefully poo imminent (fingers crossed) and he usually seems to feel better then.

IsItMeOr Tue 21-Jul-09 08:36:30

Yay! Love the word "trump", so descriptive.

pimlicomummy Sun 26-Jul-09 07:37:15

My 16 wo, also ebf, has been waking with "trumps" the last 2 weeks. It happens at 3 and again around 5:30-6, while he strains and grunts in his sleep. He poos frequently, sometimes multiple times a day, although it most often looks as though a little bit escapes with this wind. The consistency is quite watery. Does anyone else have this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now