Talk

Advanced search

DS2 is 5mo and bottle refuser, I may need ABs, how to make this work?

(5 Posts)
laumiere Sun 19-Jul-09 21:52:25

DS2 is 5mo this week, he's been on solids for a couple of weeks now and is big for his age (18lb now). He's an avid BFer and refuses all formula, but will take water.

I'm currently on BF-friendly ABs for a suspected UTI, but they aren't working and my BF-supportive doc has told me I'll need to take a week to 2 week course of non-BF friendly ABs.

Can DS2 manage for a week on solids, water and occasional yogurts? Can I keep up my supply? (I am HOPELESS at pumping, get about 1 oz a time)

tiktok Sun 19-Jul-09 22:04:16

laumiere, very, very few meds cannot be taken when bf. Even the heaviest-duty antibiotics can be taken - it's a judgement call. You can do the research yourself, share your findings with the doc, and decide with his/her advice what to do.

What you might avoid with a newborn or a pre-term may not present an issue with a 5 month old.

laumiere Sun 19-Jul-09 22:09:16

Thanks tiktok, I suspected as much but it's really hard to get any info out of our HCPs, they won't even prescribe the Pill if you're BF (mini-Pill is acceptable thankfully). Are there any sites you'd recommend for researching this?

TheProvincialLady Sun 19-Jul-09 22:13:14

If you look on the Breastfeeding Network website there is information about drugs in breast milk. There is also a helpline you can ring, where you can speak to someone (a pharmacist I think) about the drugs you need to take. They have a database about the safety of various drugs. I found them very helpful when I contacted them.

tiktok Sun 19-Jul-09 23:08:45

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT is also a good site.

It's mainstream practice to prescribe mini-pill only when bf, by the way....combined pill not harmful but it's been shown to affect the quantity of milk in some women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now