Talk

Advanced search

Encouraging 12 month old to drink milk

(8 Posts)
freyski Sun 19-Jul-09 16:51:02

My 12 month old is breast fed. Since I started weaning at 6 months she has been steadily dropping milk feeds. For the last 6 weeks she has only been feeding morning and evening. I have been trying to introduce cows milk in a cup but with no luck. She will pick up the cup and drink but then spit out the milk. I have tried both cold and hot milk. She is fine with milk on her cereal. She is now showing less interest in her evening feed so I really want her to start drinking some extra milk before she fully weans. Any advice.

tallbirduk Sun 19-Jul-09 17:02:48

None from me but I am interested to see if anyone has any. I stopped bf my 1 year old last week and have been trying to get him to drink cow's milk since - mixed success.

I measure out 200ml in the morning and he usually drinks about half, the rest goes on his weetabix, I have then been offering him milk to drink with meals and before bed - sometimes he has some, sometimes he doesn't!

I have tried a variety of cups and warming it / serving it cold - it seems to make little difference.

Saying that though, he's not big on drinking anything, which is another worry!

brettgirl2 Sun 19-Jul-09 17:25:54

This isn't practical in terms of help but mum says I absolutely refused milk when I reached 1. I haven't drunk it since.

shonaspurtle Sun 19-Jul-09 17:31:13

Ds has never been interested in milk as a drink if it wasn't from breast/bottle.

I reckon if he's getting the calcium/calories from another source such as yoghurt/cheese etc then it doesn't really matter.

freyski Sun 19-Jul-09 19:57:15

Is there a guideline for how much milk a one year old should have? DD eats yoghurts/cheese etc. I have tried EBM to see if its the cows milk but she will not have this out of a cup either.

shonaspurtle Sun 19-Jul-09 20:04:59

This article from the American Academy of Pediatrics is interesting (tho' lengthy) re: calcium requirements in children. Table 2 has a short list of foods and their calcium content which shows that cheese & yoghurt do compare favourably to plain milk.

freyski Sun 19-Jul-09 20:13:31

Shona- thanks for the link. I had never considered before that non-dairy foods also contained calcium! DD also eats white beans, broccoli, oranges and Sweet potatoes.

PeppermintPatty Sun 19-Jul-09 20:40:51

My DD same as shona's DS. She hasn't drunk a drop of milk since 11 months old when I stopped BFing her. I tried everything and she just refused to drink it.

She eats cheese, milk on her cereal, vegetables such as brocolli, and I give her yoghurt every day (I make sure I buy good quality yoghurt which is sugar free/low sugar even if it is more expensive).

She is 2 now and totally fine.

I would keep offering the milk as you are doing, she may eventually get used to it. But if not I wouldn't worry too much as long as she's getting a good diet. If you are worried you can always go to your GP and ask about vitamin supplements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now