Talk

Advanced search

Breasffeeding in Dubai airport OK?

(15 Posts)
EightiesChick Sat 18-Jul-09 23:01:27

I have a flight stop on my flight tomorrow to Australia in Dubai for about 3 hours. Will I be able to breastfeed DS in the airport business class lounge without it causing any trouble? Anyone know? Or do I have to hide myself in some other private space?

Excuse my cross-posting (I'm also putting this in longhaul) - because I am flying so soon, I'd appreciate any replies quickly. Thanks!

TeenyTinyToria Sat 18-Jul-09 23:08:10

I had a quick google - don't think there is any rule about feeding in public, but it may not be approved of. This link may help you

here

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sat 18-Jul-09 23:09:06

You need to ask the staff.

moondog Sun 19-Jul-09 00:26:37

You need to do no such thing.Just breastfeed where you like. It doesn't need permission!
I've breastfed many a time there (and everywhere else too). I'll be there tomorrow myself in fact. Not breastfeeding though.

lulalullabye Sun 19-Jul-09 00:41:31

I would be very careful, as it is really easy to get into trouble in muslim countries with things like that. imho it is not worth doing it because you have a right to do it, some battles are not worth fighting. I suspect if you ask, they will send you to some luxurious spot to do it grin

moondog Sun 19-Jul-09 00:43:50

Nonsense, Muslim countries tend to be very pro-breastfeeding.Tis stipulated in Koran.
Noone has to see anything anyway, irrespective of whare you are.

hmc Sun 19-Jul-09 00:44:03

I would play it safe and find somewhere private. They think very differently to us and have a completely different perspective on so many things. Don't risk it.

hmc Sun 19-Jul-09 00:45:08

moondog - eh?

You quite sure about that?

Women are oppressed in Dubai, UAE etc

moondog Sun 19-Jul-09 00:45:13

hmm

moondog Sun 19-Jul-09 00:45:54

Indeed they are.However generally speaking, breastfeeding not something that causes hassle.
My parents have lived in ME for 20 years.

hercules1 Sun 19-Jul-09 00:46:37

Isnt it 2 years it says?

hmc Sun 19-Jul-09 00:47:44

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/your_say/article4961764.ece

So basically, stick to the Mother and baby rooms

moondog Sun 19-Jul-09 00:47:52

Aye

EightiesChick Sun 19-Jul-09 01:27:28

Thanks for all those replies. Size of chest makes it a bit harder to BF without anyone seeing anything, as I have to hold things in place...I might play it safe and look for the mother and baby rooms.

Cheers for those links, teenytinytoria and hmc - very useful. I'll see what the staff in the business lounge say.

moondog - wave at me if you are in the airport early Monday and see a short harassed-looking woman heading for the mother and baby room! Thanks for your advice.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 19-Jul-09 18:42:00

BF in muslim countries is fine. Often will get ushered to a private place but for your assumed comfort only - not to hide you away. Best to cover with a muslin or shawl though for general 'modesty'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now