Talk

Advanced search

2.5 week old - how much formula is enough?

(4 Posts)
VerityClinch Sat 18-Jul-09 19:23:55

Am at my wits end trying to work out if my 2.5 week old is being starved or being stuffed.

She takes about 70ml 8 or 9 times a day, and also goes on the boob two or three times a day, where she sucks until she de-latches herself. She hardly ever spits up after a feed, or if she does, only tiny quantities. She never seems to need winding, either.

Do you think that's enough? We started muxed feeding because she was hypoglycemic post-birth, but she regained and surpassed her birth weight very fast (the midwife seemed to think too fast and recommended we reduce what we were giving her - with hindsight I am not sure this was great advice?). Last time she was weighed, a week ago, she was 5.7kg.

However, although she is off the growth charts in height terms (above the 97th quartile - very long legs) she is only 50th centile on the weight charts. I would have thought there should be some correlation - ie if she is a tall baby, she should be a relatively heavy one too?

With everything else (the nappies, howling, nappies, howling, feeding, howling, nappies, howling) and trying to recover from a c-section and blood transfusion, I cannot figure this one out for myself - so thanks for any advice you can give/light you can shed.

CyradisTheSeer Sat 18-Jul-09 21:49:40

Message withdrawn

pispirispis Sat 18-Jul-09 23:34:58

Just looked at my diary from back then - at that age my dd was having 7-8 bottles of between 50 and 90 ml a day. So v similar. Will she take more if you offer her more? Is she draining the bottles? I always made more than I thought she'd have (100ml in each bottle at that stage I think) so that I could be sure she'd had enough if she stopped drinking and there was some left over.

Mine howled a lot at that age too and I eventually figured out that it wasn't because she was hungry but because she didn't seem to know how to go to sleep. After much howling she would eventually conk out and I would collapse in a heap of frazzled nerves! grin

nappyaddict Sat 18-Jul-09 23:48:12

If she drains bottles then make an ounce extra. When DS started draining what I was offering I always offered an extra ounce for the next feed and from then on. Sometimes he wouldn't drink it all, sometimes he would but doing that kept me happy that he was having as much as he needed and I wasn't starving him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now