Talk

Advanced search

should my nipples still be sore 6 weeks?

(11 Posts)
mcflumpy Sat 18-Jul-09 17:16:21

My beautiful daughtr is now nearly 6 weeks old and both my nipples are still very sore. I know I should have been establishing breast feeding but I have had to express they are so sore. They are so sensitive that if my LO touches them even very ightly whilst feeding I jump out of my skin.

They basically feel like someone has rubbed them with sandpaper. I've had her latch checked numerous times, each time been told she has a very good latch.

Have considered I might have a bit of thrush, but DD doesn't have any white in mouth, is there any other way to tell?

Thanks,

Bean74 Sat 18-Jul-09 21:59:00

Have you had anyone check your latch (hv / bf counseller)? I was in agony for 1st 6 weeks on one side and the latch was ever so slightly (mm) off. Try doing the rugby ball position as that helped as well.

Otherwise try breast shields to give your nips a break. But really get someone to check it out for you.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 18-Jul-09 22:01:32

Is it sore when she first starts feeding? It could be your letdown which is painful rather than your actual nipples - mine were awful for about 8 weeks.

Otherwise silverettes is what you need my dear!

Karam Sat 18-Jul-09 22:27:17

Have you got big norks? Just I did and breastfeeding was hell for ten weeks for me. I was really upset as the nct counsellor said if it's done right it shouldn't hurt etc. I was beside myself with worry and got the whole world and his dog to check the latch was okay (it was) and still it hurt. The only suggestion was the fact I had huge boobs (L cup) and perhaps it was difficult for my baby's small mouth to fit everything in. I dunno but I do know it does go and I ended up breastfeeding for 18 months in the end! Hth

jkklpu Sat 18-Jul-09 22:28:47

Mine were agony for at least 10 weeks - resorted to nipple shields at about 8 but that actually made it harder when I stopped as ds1 found it difficult to remember how to do it properly. But suddenly it all got better for both of us. Have you used Lansinoh cream? Was a godsend for me, though not good if you're allergic to lanolin.

morocco Sat 18-Jul-09 22:30:29

does it hurt for a long time after feeding/expressing? do they look red and shiny? I had thrush but ds1 didn't have it visible in his mouth. he'd had it previously though in mouth and on bum . I treated both of us and it got soooo much better. afaik there would be no great harm in treating you for thrush

alittlebitshy Sat 18-Jul-09 22:30:42

Mine were! But it got better around 8 weeks and at about 51 weeks (!!!) we're still going very strong.

dinny Sat 18-Jul-09 22:33:21

had same - till at least 11/12 weeks this time round and last time too!

sounds like the latch isn't deep enough....have you tried a folded flannel under a boob to help you latch her on a bit easier, really helped for me, esp on the side which was sorest...

morocco Sat 18-Jul-09 23:07:44

sorry had to finish message - computer is going mad here - if you think it might be thrush (has either of you had it recently?) then it could be worth giving the cream a go. have you had the pain the whole time or has it come on or changed to a sharper pain more recently? are your nipples cracked as well (maybe latch?) do they look a kind of 'lipstick' shape after a feed - sort of a bit compressed on one side? I had that with dd and it was a poor latch - lasted for about 6 weeks before it got better/we got better at positioning.

mcflumpy Sun 19-Jul-09 20:43:34

thanks everyone, will try to get my latch checked this week, as my nipples do look a bit lop sided sometimes.

Nipples very pink, like someone sucked all the coating off! Not red or cracked (had that at the start due to bad latch, Lanisoh worked a treat for that, but not for current prob).

Also, anyone have an opinion on breast pads? Currently using disposables but they are making my nipples even sorer!

Thanks,

dinny Sun 19-Jul-09 20:44:46

sounds like thrush to me....

use breast shells to hold your bra away from nipples, pads were agony for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now