Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can babies be allergic to breast-milk and how would I know?

(4 Posts)
sizeofahouse Fri 20-May-05 08:45:57

My four week old has had a terrible mucusy cold since four days old, not seeming to get better. It may just be a cold but wondered if babies can be allergic to breast milk?? Also I have a dairy allergy which makes me very mucusy and wondered if this could be getting through to her in the breast milk if she has a dairy allergy, gonna buy some goats milk today for my sins and come off dairy - does anyone have any experience of this?

Laura032004 Fri 20-May-05 09:00:03

I'm no expert, but I don't think that babies can be allergic to bm. However, in my experience, ds does react to things that are in my diet and must go through to him in the bm. I've certainly seen things about people avoiding dairy as that upsets their baby.

I'm sure somebody who's gone through this will be along in a minute to tell you more!

tiktok Fri 20-May-05 10:32:35

Sounds as if it is worth experimenting with a dairy free diet for yourself, size.....but just using goats milk instead of cows won't test for this. It's the foreign protein that is thought to produce the allergic reaction, and goats are just as foreign as cows, for many people with this problem (not all).

Saacsmum Sat 21-May-05 23:13:06

Hi my ds had reactions to dairy as well as to the lactose in my milk. Tests concluded that he was producing insufficient lactase (enzyme which breaks down the lactose in milk) to digest my milk properly. His symptoms were very mucuusy blood in his nappies, diarhoeaa and very unsettled and unhappy. The allergy to cows milk protein produced projectile vomitting, a hard distended tummy. There were also some other food allergies that he has which if I eat he reacts to. With going dairy free you need to eliminate everything that contains traces of dairy such as whey, casien, lactose etc. These are in a lot of foods so label scan. You need to be completely dairy free for at least 10-14 days b4 you can assess whether the symptoms are related or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now