Talk

Advanced search

How and how much to express? Need advice please...

(4 Posts)
imaabi Fri 17-Jul-09 12:41:26

My DS is 6 weeks old and I am BF him. I have a very sore right nipple and want to give him one bottle of expressed milk a day to let my nipple have a rest and a chance to heal. How much should I express for that one feed and should I do it all at once (not sure possible) or throughout the day?

FragileMum Fri 17-Jul-09 15:16:11

Probably best to get yourself checked out. I used to keep one of the round plastic dribble catchers on the opposite breast to the one I was feeding and save the milk.

It will probably be easier to express throughout the day as I don't think it would be possible all in one go.

I seem to remember cabbage leaves being very cooling - weird but true! I even kept some in the fridge.

Good luck with BF - I did it for 3 years and was so sad when I stopped.

imaabi Fri 17-Jul-09 19:34:20

Thanks for that, FragileMum, but you don't mention how many ounces I should be giving as a feed at 6 weeks. Any idea? Thanks!

girlynut Sat 18-Jul-09 17:08:07

Apparently babies under 4 months should have 1 1/2 oz of milk per day for each lb of bodyweight. So divide that by the number of feeds he gets to get an rough idea of how much each feed should be.

My DS is five weeks and I'm giving him 4 oz of expressed milk at his 10pm feed and BF the rest of the day. I can sometimes express this in one go early in the morning but otherwise I just do a couple of ounces twice a day.

Have you tried Lanisoh (sp?) cream on your nipple? It's great stuff!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now