Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Night feeds at nine months

(16 Posts)
melbob Fri 20-May-05 04:59:14

My ds is 9 months and still has a feed almost every night. he is eating well and has 3-4 7oz bottles in the day. A friend thinks he's is waking for cuddle but I am not convinced as he he wakes up feeds and goes straight back to sleep. I could so so do with him sleeping through. part of me thinks he obviously needs it as he is a very very active baby, nearly walking. He is also on 50th centile for w and 70th for h so not overeating. Any mn advice gratefully received

hermykne Fri 20-May-05 08:09:00

i dont think he needs melbob, my ds, breastfed, at 9mths had stopeed night feeds.
is he on 3 meals a day plus snacks?

elibelly Fri 20-May-05 08:23:16

Every child is different, my ds needed milk in the night on and off until he was nearly one, it used to go in fits and starts - he'd have phases of wanting milk in the night for a week or so then stop for a while. He was very big and ate loads in the day (98th centile height and weight) and was very active. You could try giving him a bigger bottle before bed, my ds was having about 10oz for his bedtime bottle which helped.

melbob Fri 20-May-05 19:28:03

He has eaten loads today will ry with bigger feed

and see how things go tonight

TracyK Fri 20-May-05 19:45:17

what about a dream feed. I think I still gave mine one till almost a year. But it kept him asleep till morning. He usually only had about 3 or 4 ozs -though i would sometimes leave the rest of the bottle in his cot so that if he woke too early - he'd help himself and either go back to sleep or at least chat to himself for 30 mins or so.

Gobbledigook Fri 20-May-05 19:49:37

My ds3 is 8 months and has not had any night time feeds (i.e. nothing past his 7pm bottle) for a good couple of months now but that's just him. Maybe your ds still needs it.

I know it must be really annoying getting up with him in the night but if a quick bottle settles him to sleep, I'd just keep doing it.

In fact this past week, 2 nights ds3 woke at about 2am and we just fed him and he went straight back down.

hewlettsdaughter Fri 20-May-05 20:03:26

I carried on night feeds until my dd was one (she's 13 months now). I decided to stop them - I thought she might fight it but she hasn't. To be honest, I think I was just in the habit of offering her a feed when she woke - and she was in the habit of taking it. She usually goes to back to sleep with a pat on the back or whatever now. Have you tried not offering a feed? Maybe your ds' reaction will tell you whether he still needs it or not!

melbob Sun 22-May-05 12:16:36

Thanks for advice everyone he is now teething again so guess will just have to see how things go until thats finished!

tracyK whats a dream feed?

TracyK Sun 22-May-05 12:22:54

its when you feed the baby around 10.30 - 11 pm - well just before you go to bed for the night really. You don't wake them - just let them feed whilst asleep iykwim. Myds used to take 3 or 4 oz and not wake at all, soon as the teat touched his lips - he'd sook it in!

TracyK Sun 22-May-05 12:23:32

it means that you top them up at your timings and should keep them going longer in the morning.

melbob Tue 24-May-05 19:50:10

Tried that last night and he woke up half and hour later and puked everywhere!!

TracyK Tue 24-May-05 21:41:53

oops!

melbob Wed 25-May-05 21:13:15

It worked last night so fingers crossed

TracyK Thu 26-May-05 08:23:04

the dream feed worked??

melbob Thu 26-May-05 23:33:22

last night too so fingers crossed

TracyK Fri 27-May-05 08:38:19

Prob work till a tooth is moving - then it all goes pearshaped again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now