Talk

Advanced search

Has Hipp Organic always made formula?

(38 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Thu 16-Jul-09 21:52:57

Message withdrawn

hungrierhippo Thu 16-Jul-09 21:54:51

It was around in 2006. Not sure about before that.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 16-Jul-09 22:12:46

Message withdrawn

hungrierhippo Thu 16-Jul-09 22:18:27

I may regret starting this .... but why would you boycott a company that made formula?

I say this has someone who has breastfed both DCs but there are plenty of people who for whatever reason can't. Surely giving them an organic alternative is a good thing?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 16-Jul-09 22:23:12

Message withdrawn

Tommy Thu 16-Jul-09 22:25:46

some friends gave Hipp formula to heir babies - now aged nearly 8, so it's certainly been around that long.

Not entirely sure of your ethics though - why don't you just feed your child proper food instead of "baby food" (if you ant to go down that route anyway...)

hmm

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 16-Jul-09 22:30:04

Message withdrawn

Tommy Thu 16-Jul-09 22:33:04

fair enough - but it seems a bit hmm to me

Deanna1977 Thu 16-Jul-09 22:51:39

Starlight

Looks as if their marketing (dubious methods of) promoting formula isn't very good if you have only just realised that Hipp produce formula. hmm

Tommy Thu 16-Jul-09 23:01:06

lol deanna

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 16-Jul-09 23:03:45

if you are going to boycott Hipp (or anyone else for that matter) may I suggest that you write to them and say that you are not buying their product and let them know the reason?

I've boycotted various things, and got a letter back saying that they appreciate knowing why people aren't buying their product -- i.e. conscious decision.

hanaflower Thu 16-Jul-09 23:07:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 16-Jul-09 23:11:01

Message withdrawn

Tommy Thu 16-Jul-09 23:13:43

doesn't really bother or concern me TBH - I was just throwing in my two penn'orth

pigletmania Thu 16-Jul-09 23:16:34

Ive only just heard of them, I have never seen their advertisments(dont know if they have any, I only saw it when I was buying baby food in Boots. There will always be a need for formula as many women are not able to bf or some choose not to so you cannot totally do away with it. I totally agree with the Nestle boycotte as they do undermine bf in third world countries which is totally wrong. I dont think that formula undermines bf, if a woman wants to bf they will, its the health professionals that are all too quick suggest formula, when a babys weight drops going by out of date weight charts.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 16-Jul-09 23:21:43

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 16-Jul-09 23:33:10

Message withdrawn

pigletmania Fri 17-Jul-09 09:03:45

Well IMO i dont think you have to worry about Hipp, i have never seen them advertised, its more about he big ones like Cow&Gate,Aptimil,SMA which I have seen a lot of on TV and everywhere else.

tiktok Fri 17-Jul-09 09:23:29

Hipp is not as heavy an advertiser in the consumer magazines as the other better known brands, but it does advertise, and it also advertises a lot in healthcare professional journals. They break the WHO code doing this, as advertising to HCPs is proscribed unless it is purely informational and it isn't.

Hipp are just as bad in terms of marketing as everyone else, with spurious health claims and other breeches.

I think its understandable that consumers want to spend their money with companies that behave ethically.

tiktok Fri 17-Jul-09 09:26:45

In addition, they have a 'club' which is intended to reach pregnant and new mothers; they pay for adverts inside the birth certificate documentation; they produce 'Good Night' milk which has been criticised as potentially harmful to health....

The fact people may not have seen their ads does not mean anything. Advertising on TV and in magazines is only a small part of marketing.

pigletmania Fri 17-Jul-09 09:45:12

Well there you go Starlight. What about supermarket own brands or Boots baby food, they dont make formula I dont think only sell it.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 17-Jul-09 17:23:16

Message withdrawn

pigletmania Fri 17-Jul-09 18:48:23

Yes i liked Plum but found they were a bit dear and you dont get as much as say the other brands. I have tried Boots and they were quite good.

missfitt Fri 17-Jul-09 19:04:25

wot TT said plus hipp advertisement was most recently spotted in the packs given out when pregnant women have their booking in appt. - no mention of the F word but deffo formula advertising. (do I hear the word 'Bounty' in the back of my mind?) so a mum to be now has roughly 8 months of exposure to Hipp before the baby gets here.

pigletmania Fri 17-Jul-09 20:00:08

I dont know how long ago this was, but i dont recall getting any bumph from MW when i was pregnant, my dd is 2.5 months old so was in 2006 I was pg with her. I probably would have thrown it away as i planned to bf anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now