Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis again from being engorged - any tips for avoiding this?

(3 Posts)
runnervt Thu 16-Jul-09 21:50:37

I seem to be getting mastitis every couple of weeks at the moment and I think it's because ds2 (8mos) is not very interested in feeding during the day so I get engorged. I think my supply isn't reducing because he's feeding lots at night to make up for it hmm! Would expressing when I'm uncomfortable help or would it just stimulate my supply?

Mij Thu 16-Jul-09 21:57:58

Hi runnervt

Expressing just a little to make you more comfortable provides some stimulation, but won't stimulate supply massively, and has got to be a better option than getting mastitis repeatedly, no?! You could try reducing the amount you pump gradually, to see if you can help your body adapt to the reduction in demand more effectively than engorgement. It doesn't work for everyone, but I would think was worth a try.

FWIW, and acknowledging that everyone is different, I pumped once or twice a day for the two days DD was at the childminder for several months, and because the stimulation from a pump is less than that from a baby nursing, I found I was getting less and less from each pumping session so when I stopped I didn't get too full. And she was still nursing every two hours through the night at this point hmm.

Hope you find something that works for you smile.

runnervt Thu 16-Jul-09 22:07:10

Thanks Mij. You're right, epxressing a bit would be far better than mastitis! I'll give it a shot next time I feel full. I think there must be some days when he feeds less than others which contributes to the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now