Talk

Advanced search

Can I have a little moan?

(15 Posts)
LargeGlassofRed Thu 16-Jul-09 21:01:47

Just want to vent my frustration, I am really disappointed by the decline in decent feeding rooms for mums.
When I had my first 11 years ago there where several decent feeding rooms in the local town.
I had twins 3 weeks ago and I can't believe the lack of facilities. There is one place in my local town which has a plastic chair next to the nappy bin sad.
With dd1 and dd2 I would just sit in a cafe, but with the twins its difficult to feed both in a cafe as I feed them in the rugby ball hold.
So not very discrete. I'm sure it must put lots of new mums of breast feeding.

Also last winge I promise smile I'm sick of negative comments about feeding 2, mainly from the older generation, but also from a hv today
' saying oh you'll have to bring them to be weighed weekly and top them up if they have problems gaining!' They are both doing really well and gaining well with hundreds of pooey nappies ! and comments like this so negative. angry

Ok moan over, really made me think I want to campain for better breast feeding facilities smile

LargeGlassofRed Thu 16-Jul-09 21:31:11

only me then? grin

hangoninthere Thu 16-Jul-09 21:35:17

No, its shite. I am currently running a personal vendetta against all supermarkets. Their facilities considering they make so much money are pants.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Thu 16-Jul-09 21:42:52

Come to the breastfeeding picnics - Protect Me, Protect My Baby (or in your case babies grin) and help to raise awareness for the need for legislation to protect nursing mothers in public!

Why should you have to hide away in a toilet just because you're feeding your beautiful babies? No-one would tell you to move if they were having milk from a bottle!

You can also sign the petition here to show your support! smile

fishie Thu 16-Jul-09 21:45:29

that's crap for you lgor, what a shame that people make comments. how about library?

LargeGlassofRed Thu 16-Jul-09 21:52:14

yes agree supermarkets also rubbish, thanks urbandryad, just found out about the breast feeding picnics one near me on monday, so will attend and have a moan with other mums smile
never thought of the library, may give that a go thanks.

CMOTdibbler Thu 16-Jul-09 21:54:57

Apart from a few places, they are horrid. But I'd find some places that are friendly with sofas, and cultivate them. Where I used to live, the Costa would chuck people off the sofas for a breastfeeding mum, and bring you free refills whilst you were feeding.

Your boys (in fact all your children) are beautiful - no one could be offended by them having a meal

LargeGlassofRed Thu 16-Jul-09 22:00:49

Ah thankyou cmotdibbler, your dc is gorgeous too such a cute grin. smile
never thought of costa will have to check it out.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Thu 16-Jul-09 22:02:04

LargeGlass - libraries and other local authority run places (swimming pools and council offices AFAIK too) will have breastfeeding welcome stickers and policies in place.

LargeGlassofRed Thu 16-Jul-09 22:06:44

ah thats good to know urbandryad, will look out for them.

CMOTdibbler Thu 16-Jul-09 22:16:57

Starbucks is always a good bet too. In fact if you go to the one in Gloucester, I think my SIL lives in there, so she'd have a go at anyone who criticised you grin

Do you go to any bf support groups ? They are always a good source of info on places that are overtly bf friendly

stroudgreenie Thu 16-Jul-09 22:51:29

I think this is an NCT campaign this year- you should get behind them largeglassofred

Anyway, another vote for Starberks here.

Congratulations on your twins BTW!

pookamoo Mon 20-Jul-09 16:22:19

Largeglassofred We met you today at the breastfeeding picnic and thought you were brilliant! All those DC and amazing tandem feeding skills! grin I've got a great photo of you, if you want it? I think you can CAT me or email me at: stroudrose "at" yahoo.co.uk

Re baby friendly facilities I would agree that both Gloucester and Cheltenham are rubbish, but Stroud is pretty good. I have fed in the library like UrbanDryad said, also in the children's book department of Cheltenham WHsmith. smile

LargeGlassofRed Mon 20-Jul-09 18:18:06

Thanks pookamoo it was lovely meeting you today, the first time i've ever a mumsnetter in the flesh grin
Would love the photo, will email you, thanks.
Will be checking out the library this week, and hoping the growth spurt slows down soon smile.

1stMrsF Mon 20-Jul-09 21:22:56

Not what you are looking for I know LGoR, but I feed my twins separately - increases the options a bit...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now