Talk

Advanced search

How to keep bottles sterile when out and about?

(8 Posts)
greengecko Thu 16-Jul-09 09:27:04

I'm using a steam steriliser at home which has strict instructions about only keeping bottles sterile for 6 hours if the lid is kept on the steriliser. So how do you keep bottles sterile when you're out and about?

littleboyblue Thu 16-Jul-09 09:29:45

My friend used to put empty, sterilised bottles back together and seal them in a freezer/food bag straight away and then when needed use the cartons when out. I just fill mine with hot water from the kettle when sterilised and take them like that.

monkeyfacegrace Thu 16-Jul-09 09:38:01

Yep I do the same. Sterlilise first thing in the morning, make up the bottles with 8oz freshly boiled water. Then when they are sealed with their lids on the inside stays sterile for 24 hours. The instructions only mean 6 hours when they aren't sealed, as germs can still get to the internal bits of the bottle. When they are made up and sealed you get a good 24 hours.

namechangerforareason Thu 16-Jul-09 09:46:10

Was gonna say the same as monkey!

I do that and either take cartons and decant water or you can get wee plastic tubs which hold your measured formula like this. Tesco sell something similar with 3 separate compartments so you can pre measure up to 3 feeds, very handy when out and about as it saves buying cartons all the time.

namechangerforareason Thu 16-Jul-09 09:47:55

another here x

SoupDragon Thu 16-Jul-09 09:49:31

You can't.

As soon as you take the bottle out of the steriliser into the open air it is not sterile any more.

Relax for heavens sake.

littleboyblue Thu 16-Jul-09 09:49:44

Yeah, I use the powder pots too. I think cartons are a bit sweeter than the stuff in powder form, didn't want ds's to get used to that.
I also used to take a thermo flask and plastic jusg to warm milk, but most places have a warming station now anyway.

greengecko Thu 16-Jul-09 10:12:45

Thanks for all the advice. Dilemma solved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now