Talk

Advanced search

Expressing - sends supply crazy - anything I can do?

(2 Posts)
natandjonah Wed 15-Jul-09 22:02:08

DS1 is now 14 weeks and I have given expressing another go so that I can go to a work function tomorrow and out on friday night. I have expressed after the first two morning feeds and only off the breast he has fed from. I have so far got about 8floz (over 5 days) but it has send my supply loopy so I have engorged breasts and DS1 is struggling with oversupply and fast let down.

I did try expressing when DS1 was about 5weeks old and although only expressed once a day when he was having a bottle of EBM, it send my supply crazy (went from expressing 60ml to getting 150ml in same period of time) and it gave DS1 projectile vomiting which I resolved by block feeding for 2 days to calm things down. BTW I use a manual pump.

I thought my supply would be more established by now for this not to happen? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to avoid this so I can get out a bit? Any help would be really appreciated - sorry its long

whomovedmychocolate Wed 15-Jul-09 22:15:39

I reckon you have had poor timing and have managed to pump at the same times as he's gone through a growth spurt.

In any case - it will settle down. With DD it took till 8 months till things really got normal, but with DS about a week, so hang in there, it is very variable.

You are doing wonderfully, stop worrying and enjoy your night out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now