Talk

Advanced search

going away for the w/e - milk supply drying up?

(7 Posts)
hoochymama Wed 15-Jul-09 19:26:19

When dd will be 6 months, I am going away for the w/e and leaving her with my parents. She is exclusively bf and I want to keep bf for as long as I can.

Will I need to express at every feed time while I'm away? It's meant to be a romantic wedding anniversary w/e, so I'm not particularly keen to have a breast pump hanging off me every 3 hrs. I've never been able to get much milk out with expressing, so I'm a bit worried being away from dd for 3 days/2nights will dry my supply up.

Also I won't be able to express enough to feed her completely on breastmilk over the w/e - will suddenly giving her a lot of formula be a big upset to her tummy?

Anyone had a similar situation?

swampster Wed 15-Jul-09 19:41:17

Not quite the same but I carried on breastfeeding an almost two-year-old after a long weekend away (three or four nights). I took a breast pump along but couldn't be arsed to use it. When they were smaller (seven-plus months, so not exclusively breastfed) and I had to be away for any length of time I did generally pump 'n' dump once over an eight to 12-hour period but that was mainly to relieve pressure.

I don't think you need to express every feed time, just some of them, and that's partly because if you don't you might explode.

Will she be ready to try some solid stuff then? DS3 is five-and-a-half months old now and has really been mooching at our food so I've been letting him gnaw on a banana, an avocado, some sweet potato... I have never seen such amazing nappies ever!

That's all pretty anecdotal and probably not much help. I'm sure the experts will be along soon. Have a great weekend away.

hoochymama Wed 15-Jul-09 19:51:01

thanks swampster, it's a relief to know that I won't have to pump all w/e. Yes, I'll be starting her on solids by then, but I heard that they still need the usual milk feeds to start with...

swampster Wed 15-Jul-09 20:52:00

Of course I was secretly hoping that the weekend away would stop DS2 feeding - no such luck. Until he realised (long before I did) that DS3 was on the way as a direct consequence of my dirty weekend... grin

hoochymama Wed 15-Jul-09 20:57:57

grin Mental note to take contraception, my husband says he'll divorce me if I get pregnant again!

swampster Wed 15-Jul-09 21:03:12

grin grin grin

Olihan Wed 15-Jul-09 21:06:54

I agree that you will need to express at least a couple of times to stay comfortable - it won't be much of a romantic weekend if your boobs are rock hard, leaking and you hit the ceiling everytime someone so much as breathes near you grin.

Your supply is very firmly established now so it won't disappear in 2 days but it will drop a bit so she'll probably be on feeding frenzy for a couple of days or so after you get back. If you have the time to have a bit of a babymoon and just feed as often as she needs then everything will be back to normal pretty quickly, ime.

Don't know about the formula, ds2 wouldn't touch the stuff and just got by on solids and whatever ebm I had left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now