Talk

Advanced search

Powder or cartons - which is easier to digest?

(9 Posts)
auntyspan Wed 15-Jul-09 17:59:24

I'm currently weaning DD2 off colief. Someone told me that the cartons seem easier for her DS to digest - has anyone else found this?

She's now fully FF by the way.

auntyspan Wed 15-Jul-09 21:44:56

hopeful bump?

motherpi Wed 15-Jul-09 22:25:00

From what I remember, cartons seem a little thicker than powder, and I know that a few friends used to water it down very slightly because they thought it caused constipation.

Mine were both fine with cartons when I went to formula.

Seona1973 Wed 15-Jul-09 22:35:22

the cartons have been heat treated so maybe that breaks down some of the proteins in the milk. They certainly seem to be a a bit more 'caramelised' than the reconstituted powdered formula. I have never noticed a difference in thickness and have never watered them down.

kellbell Wed 15-Jul-09 22:41:49

I think that admitting you feed your child formula on this board is tantamount to stating that you feed it arsenic!!

Just thought I'd mention that in case you were wondering why you'd had so few replies...

FWIW - I'd say the powder makes up a thinner milk than what comes in the cartons. I've never heard this and I've never noticed a problem with digesting either and I've given mine both.

tiktok Wed 15-Jul-09 23:43:21

kellbell - please link to any post that makes it sound as if she is contemplating feeding something like arsenic. hmm

There are several posts about formula feeding on the boards now, none of which imply this.

The reason the OP has had few replies is probably because no one knows the answer.

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 15-Jul-09 23:48:04

I don't know which is easier to digest, however would be really cautious as far as watering it down and not following the advised ratio of powder to water.

motherpi Thu 16-Jul-09 08:57:24

Oh no, I would not suggest you water it down. Definitely not.

I posted that without thinking.

Stick with the powder - it is far less expensive and you can make up the amount you need.

auntyspan Thu 16-Jul-09 18:03:05

Thanks ladies....I think I'll hang on before going down the carton route unless there's an emergency.

And yes Kelbell I do know what you mean. My DH suggested that there's more threads on BF cos everyone who is FF is busy sterilising and faffing with bottles grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now