Talk

Advanced search

B/F and water

(16 Posts)
Scaredycat3000 Wed 15-Jul-09 17:17:13

I need a bit of supportsad. My 3 month old is B/F very well, gaining plenty of weight, very smiley happy baby. But getting a bit ground down by the number of professionals, MIL (was a Midwife)and partner telling me to give him some water. So far I should have given him water for;
Constipation (even though he wasn't)
Diarrhoea (again, he did't)
Weather is hot or warm.
Looked at LLL and other guides, they say no reason to give exclusively B/F baby water, his soft spot is not sunken.
In my sleep deprived state has I missed something? This is a hang on from formula fed days, isn't it? Am I making a mistake?

fourlittlefeet Wed 15-Jul-09 18:02:14

no, you are bang on; they don't need any water until you start weaning them!

dawntigga Fri 17-Jul-09 15:08:06

bf'd babies do not need water!

Put your foot down - use your hormones as an excuse if you have to

NotGivingDSWaterTiggaxx

Bettymum Fri 17-Jul-09 15:10:00

Keep BFing! He doesn't need extra water. Stick to your guns

pigletmania Fri 17-Jul-09 15:22:12

Keep on bf babies that young dont need water, thought that he was 8 months old, then you would give him water as he is on solids and is more active.

1stMrsF Fri 17-Jul-09 20:43:37

I'm having this battle with my Mum and MIL - especially in the recent hot weather. If you bf on demand you do not need to give water - they will take more milk if they are thirsty (sorry, cannot get out of habit of talking in plurals as I have twins). However, if you were feeding on a strict four hour schedule as my MIL keeps insisting I should be doing hmm then you might need to, because they wouldn't be able to choose to have just a short 'drink' feed. BF when baby wants to and you'll be fine. Lots of wet nappies? No problem. There is recent research that shows that milk is much better at rehydrating than water too. Have confidence in what you want to do.

quirkychick Fri 17-Jul-09 21:24:00

1stMrsF my Mum and MIL went on about this too! Cooled, boiled water, I think if it's hot and the baby wants breastmilk it is more dilute/ perfect for los to rehydrate IIRC. MIL went on about 4 hour feeds loads too, I politely pointed out that it doesn't help bf (she used to be midwife a long time ago) but apparently it was never a problem when she was practising. That's why it's no longer recommended, obviously grin.

Stick to your guns, you are right. When they say exclusively breastfeed that's what they mean. If your dc is thirsty they will feed more.

nct73 Thu 23-Jul-09 14:24:44

glad you brought this up. my mum also keeps going on about this with the recent hot weather & for constipation. DS (6 wks) has regular wet wet nappies and I am making sure I drink plenty so good supply on demand. thanks for the reassurance that I am doing the right thing by not giving water. chhers.

HoppityBunny Thu 23-Jul-09 15:27:31

I am currently exclusively bfg my DS.

During my stay at my father's villa in Spain last month. The weather was very very hot. And, my step-mum kept hinting about feeding my 3 mth old son water and I kept saying no no and explaining it all. She didn't give-in, she just went on to 'have another quiet word' with my DH and my father saying I must give water. I just ignored my father and my DH stuck up for me. These type of people are 'old school' stuck in their way and in a time warp and will not accept things have changed for the better.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 23-Jul-09 15:36:27

no you are quite right. no need to give a demand BF baby water; they will scream ask for a feed if they are thristy smile. Print off some stuff from LLL or kellymom and show them if they are still going on about it. Disappointing that you are being told this by HCPs though sad

and a wee aside to nct73, where mum is concerned, provided you drink to satisfy your thirst then your supply will be fine; no need for extra water "just in case" as it were.

nct73 Thu 23-Jul-09 16:01:59

yeah but I am usually rubbish at drinking enough water plus am finding that I am thirstier than usual.

HoppityBunny Fri 24-Jul-09 18:51:57

nct73

You don't have to drink water, it can be any drink you like as long it's not alcoholic.

Chunkamatic Fri 24-Jul-09 20:59:18

I got really annoyed that my HV advised me to give DS cooled, boiled water when he was first born - I knew very little but I knew she was wrong about that!!

Anyway, regarding the hot weather, I was told or read that it is understood that your body will produce more milk in hotter weather in order to provide hydration for the baby. I also think I read that the milk will be more watery but I could have added that bit myself!

Scaredycat3000 Fri 24-Jul-09 22:25:29

Thanks all for the support, you do start to question yourself hmm.
I do wish I had never mentioned that I was thinking of BLW to HV after she suggested that he would need to be weaned early due to his size...but thanks to your thread I will stick to my guns grin.

christiana Fri 24-Jul-09 22:31:10

Message withdrawn

HoppityBunny Mon 27-Jul-09 15:58:15

And also in hot countries where water from the tap is undrinkable. The mineral water from the shops you buy are likely to be too high in minerals for your baby and there's a chemical toxin release from the plastic bottle itself, it's higher in these bottles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now