Talk

Advanced search

Will I be able to keep this up

(8 Posts)
Flossam Thu 19-May-05 16:46:28

DS is now 6 months an i have been mixed feeding for about a month. First of all it was just one bottle, but now it is 2-3 a day, I give him morning evening and any night feeds from me. But my supply seems to be dropping rapidly. I don't know that I won't have to give up, but I know that many mothers manage to feed like this for a long time. If you did how did you manage it and ensure you had enough milk?

starlover Thu 19-May-05 16:49:45

flossam, i am in a similar situation as you!
how do you know your supply is dropping?

Flossam Thu 19-May-05 16:51:20

Cause he keeps coming off! Sometimes cries, other times when offered the bottle will down several ounces like he hasn't seen food for a month! Also there is a strange sensation when my boobs are empty, can't really describe it!

hercules Thu 19-May-05 17:00:39

YOur boobs are never empty just nearly at times. It sounds like as you have been topping up your supply has adjusted. IT works on supply and demand so if your not demanding beacuse of the bottles then it wont be supplying as much.

Fran1 Thu 19-May-05 17:04:04

Are you sure they're empty?

I bf dd for 2 years, and once we were down to only a couple of feeds a day my boobs just felt normal, couldn't tell whether they had milk or not, didn't get any of the feelings you get when you're feeding a newborn.

But my milk lasted even when i was giving up, wouldn't feed dd for a day or two, then she'd latch on and i'd be amazed there was still milk there.

Sorry don't think i've been much help, was just trying to say it is normal that they no longer feel "full" when you're only feeding a couple of times a day.

Flossam Thu 19-May-05 19:16:43

Ds feeds really fitfully, often pulling off and screaming and then desperately latching back on. The process repeats and repeats. He will usually pull off when I would think they would be 'empty' by feel IYSWIM. I don't ever get full full, just slightly heavier. I introduced the bottle because I really couldn't keep up with DS's demands, and he was starving . I was gutted. I'm happy as long as I will be able to keep what I am doing now up, but worried that I do seem to have less and less. I know no-one will think I am talking any sense, sorry.

throckenholt Thu 19-May-05 19:32:29

try feeding him more often for a few days, and try and save the formula for later in the day when supply seems to be lowest. Try and feed him in a calm and boring place so that he doesn't get distracted, and the difficult one - try and stay clam yourself - maybe read a book, or watch the tv.

Flossam Thu 19-May-05 20:03:40

Thank you. That sounds like a great plan for if I think I've run out to continue as I am atm. I'm going back to work soon, so DS having some formula is probably something worth continueing atm. Thanks for the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now