Talk

Advanced search

BF baby putting on weight very fast - is this a problem?

(12 Posts)
nicetomeetyou Tue 14-Jul-09 15:02:46

Hello

Baby is 8 weeks old and 5.5kg having been 2.9kg when born - she has gone from 10th centile to 75th. She is roughly on 25th centile for height and head circumference. She does not look chubby to me.

I have not yet got into a routine with feeding and probably do always respond with the breast rather than anything else. I tend to feed when it is convenient sometimes as I have a 16 mo and need to juggle the two.

Is the weight gain a problem? I have always heard that BF babies tend to put on weight more slowly than formula fed babies. Also can I /should I try to get into more of a routine and feed every 3 hrs - it would be nice to be more structured with 2 to look after - I do tend to think that baby snacks a lot.

iloveholidays Tue 14-Jul-09 15:48:50

I don't think you can overfeed a BF baby. I think BF babies tend to put on weight quicker in the first couple of months and then it slows down. Sounds like you're doing a great job. Well done!

splodge2001 Tue 14-Jul-09 16:03:19

Don't worry - She'll probably reach a plateau. My DD started on 75th, went down to 25th and is now cruising along on 50th. Feeding totally on demand. Your baby is getting exactly what she wants and needs, don't restrict her.

lou031205 Tue 14-Jul-09 16:13:03

Agree. DD3 is demand fed, 5.9kg, and 13 weeks old. She is on the 75th centile.

wuglet Tue 14-Jul-09 16:15:25

DS went from 25th centile at 2 weeks old to above the 91st!

Stayed at that level for most of his first year and now just above the 75th.

Don't worry about it - you are obviously producing premium gold top stuff!

AbricotsSecs Tue 14-Jul-09 16:16:57

Message withdrawn

PatTheHammer Tue 14-Jul-09 22:10:24

Well done and do not worry. My DS was born on the 25th and quickly shot up to the 91st shock. The HV had never seen anything like it, his line was almost vertical!!!! I couldn't work out where he was getting it from as he never seemed to be on there long (2yr old DD saw to that)

Unlike your DD, he is very chunky and now happily cruising along just under the 98th percentile. He is 6 mths now and a bloody great big lump to lug around, I just love his rolls though grin.

I just think some people are more efficient at putting fats etc into their milk? Either that or I was just eating too well!

AcademicMum Tue 14-Jul-09 22:34:22

I think BF babies put on weight more quickly than FF babies at first, then slower than FF babies from about 4 or 5 months onwards. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, as soon as you get into trying to "control" weight gain it is a downward spiral of stress and worry. Enjoy the fact that she obviously loves her feeds and burn the charts if she doesn't give you any other cause for concern.

alexpolismum Wed 15-Jul-09 15:28:27

This reminds me so much of my ds. During his first few months, it seemed that every time we had him weighed he had put on another kilo! It went on like this until he was about 6 months old, and then he seemed to settle down and started putting weight on much more slowly. It's just the way some babies are. As long as you are bf on demand I shouldn't worry about it.

Don't compare with your other child. My dd, also exclusively bf on demand, barely puts on 200g a time. And I'm afraid that getting into a routine might be a long way off for you!

Builde Fri 17-Jul-09 09:56:52

My two daughters were both born on 50% percentile. I BF them both for 6months before introducing solids. Probably stopped BF completely at 1 year.

The oldest went from 50% percentile to 99% within weeks. She looked incredibly plump but I didn't give it much thought at the time. She has stayed heavy but - as she has grown taller - has slimmed down so now she looks a healthy 5 year. She isn't a skinny one but looks just right.

My youngest stayed on the 50% until 6 months. Now - aged 2 - she is on 25% for height and weight.

So, despite doing exactly the same thing with both, they have completely different heights and shapes. Bizarre!

Think big, scandinavian looking and tall compared to small, wiry and short-tempered!

Builde Fri 17-Jul-09 09:58:40

Just as aside...I am glad I did BF because I feel that all the weight that the oldest put on was from the right stuff. I would have worried if it had been from formula.

So, if you have a plump one, keep breastfeeding!

ExpositionDesMains Fri 17-Jul-09 10:01:29

My dd was born on the 50th and within weeks was off the top of the charts. She has stayed there and is 2.2 now. She was VERY chubby until she started moving round and now she's tall (3ft tall!) and lean and extremely strong/muscular. Still off the charts for weight and height.

Be led by how healthy/happy your baby is. I love chubby babies. Feeding on demand is the best thing you can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now