Talk

Advanced search

Ouch! Split nipple?

(7 Posts)
Scaredycat3000 Tue 14-Jul-09 11:05:44

I've made it to 3 months with very few problems, but for the last few weeks latching on has become, at times very painful, always uncomfortable. More on the right than the left and usually only for the first minute. Last night was pretty bad and when I looked this morning I have a small crack on the side of my nipple.
I've put some lanolin on, but can't really avoid feeding off this side as he usually needs both for a full feed.
Am I doing the right thing? Don't want it to get any worse, can't cope with worse sad

iloveholidays Tue 14-Jul-09 14:56:01

You poor thing - lanolin will help. I'm in a similar position, my baby is 3 months and I've just got a blister on my right side which has made it very painful, with few problems up to now.

Might be worth getting a breastfeeding counsellor to check your latch - I think I've got lazy with mine as it was going so well, I haven't been checking as much. Keep an eye on the latch and I'm sure it'll get better although I believe it'll take a couple of days.

Good luck - I fully sympathise.

stirlingstar Tue 14-Jul-09 15:52:39

Ouch ouch ouch. I've come looking for help on this too. Am bfing a 6 mo DS2. Had mastitis in right breast about a month ago and this somehow caused a couple of cracks in the nipple and it's still blinking sore and cracked now. (Mastitis long gone)

Wish I could give you some top tips but obviously not! Sorry.

I'm a bit worried it could be thrush that is stopping it healing.

Dr prescribed Canestan HC, which is a mild antifungal + steroid cream, but doesn't seem to have done anything. He also suggested vaseline/lanolin. I don't think there's any sign of thrush, other than the non-healing cracks, but maybe that can be enough? Maybe I should go back and get some better kind of thrush-killer to try?

sambo303 Tue 14-Jul-09 17:02:21

hi - i suffered with a hole in my nipple which was extremely painful. I used silverettes - the hole healed eventually, not sure if they worked or not but I was desperate for anything. Also took paracetamol and ibuprofen.

charx Tue 14-Jul-09 17:25:29

oh please tell me where you can find the silverettes sambo3030. I have unbelievably sore cracked nipples - combined with thrush and have been mostly expressing a now 6 week old but I can't go on with the pain and the time its all taking with a demanding and active 3 yr old as well. I'm on the verge of giving up.

sambo303 Tue 14-Jul-09 19:55:46

I got mine from breastfeeding heaven but they dont seem to stock them anymore, just had a look. You could try calling them to ask if they can get you some in. Are you using nipple shields? A kind mw suggested them although they are supposed to be bad, and although I used them way beyond the time specified, they really helped and it's better than giving up. I've seen silverettes mentioned on mn a few times, maybe someone would sell you theirs? Have you got a bf cafe nearby? Sounds like you need some RL support

charx Tue 14-Jul-09 19:58:49

Psycho baby wrestles with breast and tussles so much that shield partially came off and then she just ended up biting the end of my nipple - oh the pain.

I'm going to post on MN right away!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now