Talk

Advanced search

DD has missed her bedtime feed two nights running - is this the beginning of the end?

(14 Posts)
CharCharGabor Mon 13-Jul-09 21:29:47

sad She has never been able to get to sleep without a bf but she's just dropped her nap so she's been passing out with exhaustion. She's still having a morning feed (so I get a lie-in wink) and I offered one this afternoon when she was whingy but other than that, nothing. This is after being a real boob addict. Not sure how to feel tbh, not ready for her to stop but not sure she is either. Am hoping it's just a phase. Am 6 weeks pregnant as well so hormones not helping. Anyone had this happen and their dc picked up again?

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 21:42:13

awww, i know how you feel. ds2 did that, while i was pregnant too.
sadly he did wean and i was gutted.
hope you have a happier ending!

CharCharGabor Mon 13-Jul-09 21:48:08

Thanks tiy. She's always fed way more than any other child I know, like a newborn most of the time. I never thought she would cut down so much, was hoping to nurse through preg then carry on if possible but obviously will go with DD's flow. Hopefully she will pick up her nap again as she's done before and need her feed again [everything crossed emoticon]

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 21:56:12

yeah ds2 was like that too, a real boob monster. i felt so upset when he weaned cos i don't thin khe would have if i hadn't been pregnant.
i wishj now that i'd encouraged him to feed more often, during the day and stuff. maybe you could do that?

how old is she? ds2 was 16 months when he stopped feeding

jemart Mon 13-Jul-09 21:59:03

Why is it upsetting if they wean? 16 months sounds quite a reasonable age to wean at.

CharCharGabor Mon 13-Jul-09 22:08:52

DD is two in two weeks shock Don't know where that's gone. I know she's a good age but I have always wanted her to stop when she is ready and I am worried that it is only the pregnancy which is discouraging her. Last week she was feeding 6+ times a day and a few at night. Now two feeds today and sleeping through, wtf? Am feeling v hormonal and whingy now. Will try offering a few times a day, if she wants it she can have it, if not, not.

Pyrocanthus Mon 13-Jul-09 22:22:54

My DD2 dropped her bedtime feed (usually her only feed) of her own accord at 16 months. I was surprised as she was recovering from a sore throat, during the course of which she'd fed for comfort for a solid weekend. On the Monday she went back to the single feed, and on the Tuesday, she weaned herself (having made sure I was full of milk first angry). I've no idea why she stopped asking, but I wasn't pregnant.

If she's crashing out in the evening it may be that she doesn't need that feed any more, but perhaps she'll carry on with the morning one for a while yet.

CharCharGabor Mon 13-Jul-09 22:28:51

Thanks for your experience Pyrocanthus smile It's weird not doing the bedtime feed and settle after doing it for so long, I feel a bit bereft tbh. I hope she'll carry on with the morning one, it means a lot to both of us.

CharCharGabor Tue 14-Jul-09 20:20:00

Well DD fede most of the night last night (hmm not so good) but ad her bedtime feed tonight which is good smile so I'm happy but a bit confused. I suppose she's just sorting herself out and probably moving towards self-weaning.

pigletmania Tue 14-Jul-09 21:00:51

Well done for going this far, all good things have to come to an end sometime, just a part of growing up I am afraid. Two is a good age, now you will have the newborn to feed and might not feel as sad. Good luck

CharCharGabor Tue 14-Jul-09 21:21:33

Thanks piglet smile It's a big change for me and one I'm still getting my head round but today she seems to have picked up where she left off a bit so God knows what's going on!

pigletmania Tue 14-Jul-09 22:11:55

I think just go with the flow and just take it from her, if she is cutting down than or not wanting to bf she is mabey ready to stop. I was only able to bf for a very short while and so wish it was longer, even now my dd (2.4 years) likes a bottle to go to sleep for nap and at bedtime, I think it is more for comfort than food like bf is for children over say 1 year.

CharCharGabor Wed 15-Jul-09 08:44:23

Sorry, bad night with DD last night so I missed your message smile I think she is slowly growing a bit more independent as she's started self-settling as well. Loads of feeds though grin I agree it is mostly about comfort.

pigletmania Wed 15-Jul-09 09:43:33

oh dear, I know too well lol. I wanted dd in some sort of a bedtime routine and sleeping most of the night as we are trying for another little one so could not do with being interruped if poss. Now that she is not walking up to feed we are able to do this he he. Hope to bf the neext one for longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now