Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding - How to increase milk flow rate?

(5 Posts)
ilovemyoboe Mon 13-Jul-09 19:14:01

I'm breastfeeding my 10 week old baby. It's been a bit of struggle as he wasn't putting on weight and was very miserable for a bit until I started supplementing with 2oz formula after each breast feed. I'm feeding him every 3 hours during the day.

I think the problem is down to a low milk flow rate from me as feeding him takes ages and he falls asleep a lot; from what I've read these are often caused by a low flow rate.

Anyone know how I can increase the flow rate? I've been trying compressions (or expressing) when he is sucking but not drinking to encourage him to drink. Not sure if that is helping or not. It's hard to tell, but I think he is spending a lot more time sucking that actually drinking so this tires him and means it takes ages to get a feed into him. I presume this is down to flow rate.

samplesale Mon 13-Jul-09 19:50:05

Is there a breastfeeding counsellor near you that you can go and see? Your health visitor might be able to refer you to a bf group- give her a bell in the morning. They would be able to check your latch etc. and offer advice.

Alternatively you could ring this number until 10pm tonight to talk with an NCT bf counsellor: 0300 330 0771

My DD was just the same, all I can say is stick with it and feed him as much as humanly possible- every time he shows any interest in the boob stick him on. Basically what everyone else will say to you is the more you feed him, the more milk you will produce.

I also swear that drinking this tea helped:

mothers helper tea

Good luck!

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 19:54:25

the more you supplement the less milk you will make.

i think the best thing you can do is talk to one of the BF helplines and get some advice from them.
or see if there is a baby cafe in your area so you can see someone face to face

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-Jul-09 19:57:02

Message withdrawn

dawntigga Sat 18-Jul-09 18:34:43

I started fenugreek capsules today will let you know how I get on

UdderlyWunnerfulTiggaxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now