Talk

Advanced search

6 month old BF baby not eating

(3 Posts)
Shanster Mon 13-Jul-09 13:42:57

I am a bit worried about DD - she is 6 months old and exclusively breastfed, though she takes expressed breast milk when I am at work 5 days a week. For the past week she has cut down dramatically on the amount of milk she'll take. When I am at work, she is only having 10 ounces instead of her usual 17 ounces, and when I am home she is refusing the breast also. The only time I can get her to take a good feed is immediately before bedtime and her early morning feed. She has also dropped her 2am feed in the past week. As a result, I am dripping milk all the time!! She is very alert and creeping all over the place, seems happy and is not sick. I tried to introduce solids, but she has no interest there either. She is a skinny wee thing already, I am worried about weight loss. Any ideas on how I can get more calories in her?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 13-Jul-09 14:23:33

Hmm. Is it possible that she's only feeding well when there's nothing more interesting to do? It's entirely normal for babies to be easily distracted.

Where is she during the day? Can you talk to them about making sure they feed her somewhere very boring, if possible?

And could you try giving her feeds in a boring quiet (dark?) room, when you're together?

Re: introducing solids - are you trying purees or blw?

That being said, she's no doubt fine. I understand the urge to feed her up and make her fat, but she sounds healthy and lovely, and may well just being doing what's natural for her.

Shanster Tue 14-Jul-09 13:08:53

Thanks, I tink you are right. She took a little more milk yesterday and appears to be perfectly healthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now