Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm writing a bf article for a local publication - any tips please?

(9 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 12-Jul-09 13:30:55

I have bf both of my boys and attended our local bf support group both times.

I want to write an article for a fairly new free local publication with the aims of both promoting bf and encouraging bf mothers to attend the local group.

The edior is really keen for me to do this as she is bf her 2nd child but doesn't want to write an article herself!

Has anyone done anything similar and would be willing to share their work, or do you have any good ideas of how to go about this without sounding like I'm preaching?

elkiedee Sun 12-Jul-09 14:24:21

Do you have any particularly nice anecdotes? Did you have any problems to overcome at the start or do you go to the bf group for social reasons? Write about why you breastfeed and why you like going to the group, and include the details for the group.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 12-Jul-09 21:07:01

How heavy do you think I should be with the facts and figures about the pros of breastfeeding?

dawntigga Sun 12-Jul-09 22:53:36

Don't go heavy with the figures people don't really care about them. Mention them but only as a description of whatever point it is you are trying to make. Point out the pro's and cons of bf'ing to be honest and balanced. Include really positive stories of people who have bf'd and bf'd in public and if you can find any the negatives to expose peoples intolerance. You might want to include some of the politics e.g. the Nestle boycot/the lack of protection for women in England and the protection for women in Scotland.

Just some ideas.

UpToLateTiggaxx

confusedfirsttimemum Mon 13-Jul-09 10:12:17

I think not too many figures too, and I think that some figures on the early benefits of breastfeeding (e.g. benefits in the first week, month, etc) might be good, perhaps in the context of talking about the fact that most problems occur early on and can be resolved with help. If you're having real problems breastfeeding at the start, managing it for a month or two seems a much more achievable target than six months' exclusive breastfeeding. I know a few people who've been to groups at that point and then happily carried on to six/12 months or beyond.

SoupDragon Mon 13-Jul-09 10:16:18

One angle would be to squash all the negative aspects in a humorous way, you know, all that rubbish that people spout as a reason not to do it.

But be honest. I didn't find it helpful to be told "it doesn't hurt" when the reality was "It shouldn't hurt, but it most likely will until you both get the hang of how to do it properly.". I wouldn't have felt such a failure/dimwit when it hurt like hell with DS1. With DS2 and DD I was more realistic (and it still hurt for up to a week despite being an "expert" by then )

elkiedee Mon 13-Jul-09 11:18:27

I'd agree, I really wanted to breastfeed and was terribly upset when I didn't succeed with my first baby, and am very proud of how far I've got this time round. I think most readers would be more interested in your experience, and if they want it, the idea that they can get support and social contact at the group.

rockinghertosleep Mon 13-Jul-09 11:51:22

Maybe excerpts of
Mom I am? Perhaps a bit long for your article, but thought it sweet/funny...

Or there's this, which I love!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 14-Jul-09 13:43:19

Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now