Talk

Advanced search

Why is my 15mth old feeding like a newborn again?

(6 Posts)
HuffwardlyRudge Sun 12-Jul-09 12:36:59

He wants to breastfeed ALL THE TIME.

He sees me, his face lights up, he comes racing up for a cuddle claw at my top until he gets to the white stuff. hmm

About a month ago he made the connection that the milk is still there even when he can't see it, and now he goes on a mission to get to it wherever we are and whatever I'm doing.

He will ONLY go to sleep if fed to sleep.

He will ONLY nap in the daytime if dozing on the boob.

He is spending great chunks of every night dozing on the boob (alternative = furiously screaming baby). Last night I didn't get any sleep between midnight and just gone 4am because he was either feeding or shouting to be fed. I'd already fed him to sleep at 8 and gone up to feed him at 10 and fed him when he heard me come to bed at 11.

He had an enormous pasta and bean supper. He had plenty of water.

We try letting dh go to him instead of me and it is moderately successful.

I have lost sight of what is normal and what is reasonable.

I'm starting to resent him to be honest. I never thought I'd say it but I would love it if he just WEANED ALREADY. Fat chance. He's going to be coming home from uni for a spot of milkies at this rate.

We all need some sleep. Is this a growth spurt or teething or something? How do I make it stop. It's too much.

gillybeanie Sun 12-Jul-09 14:06:40

sorry can"t help you but just to let you know you are not alone this is the same situation that i am going through with my DD 17mths, she is teething at the mo and i think for her it is a comfort thing, i don"t know what to do really want to stop bf, my DS was a bit like this and the only reason i think he came of the boob was because i was preg. Wish you the best, never knew that it wouid be that hard to get them of the boob!!!!

preggersplayspop Sun 12-Jul-09 14:20:29

Hi, my DS went through phases like this as well, mainly when he was teething and I definitely think I some form of pain relief for him. It was worst when his eye teeth were coming through, it felt like weeks before they popped through and its really exhausting. It does get better though, my son has recently slept through (at the grand old age of 2), and I never thought that would happen!

HuffwardlyRudge Sun 12-Jul-09 19:29:22

Not just me then? Oh well. Misery likes company.

I always assume that everything will pass in its own time, but sometimes I fall to my knees screaming "WHEN? WHEN will this pass??"

He has had 8 teeth for months now. Not a squeak of the 9th putting in an appearance.

Loopymumsy Sun 12-Jul-09 20:28:47

Message withdrawn

gillybeanie Sun 12-Jul-09 21:17:24

it is hard isn"t it...i hope you have a better night tonight,maybe it is one of the back teeth coming through(think they come before the canines?) could try a little calpol, also sometimes if i have had a coffee later on in the day DD can be rather unsettled. I am already to give up bf DD has become to reliant on the boob and not eating that much solids, don2t know how maybe i"ll just have to leave her with DP for a couple of days and do cold turkey, though when DS stopped his sleep he started sleeping better through the night.
Do you want to carry on bf?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now