Talk

Advanced search

Is it wrong to breast feed DS (11.5 weeks) if I think I might have chicken pox?

(8 Posts)
littleM Sun 12-Jul-09 11:21:56

I had to collect DD (2.5) from nursery on thursday as they thought she had chicken pox - she does and is now covered in spots.

I definately had chicken pox when I was a child but have come up in spots so looks like I have caught it again.

Is it ok to continue breast feeding DS if I think I have chicken pox?

tryingtobemarypoppins Sun 12-Jul-09 11:34:20

Most definatly! It will offer your DS protection xx

TheProvincialLady Sun 12-Jul-09 11:35:48

Yes yes yes, it is not only the easiest but also the safest choice due to antibdies etc.

idontbelieveit Sun 12-Jul-09 11:50:38

With all common illnesses you should keep feeding, your breastmilk will offer the baby protection and mean that even if the baby gets ill he will recover more quickly.

alittlebitshy Sun 12-Jul-09 17:12:37

as everyone has said, even more reason to keep feeding him!

BouncingTurtle Sun 12-Jul-09 19:24:39

I'm still feeding ds(18mo) despite a mild case of pig lurgy. Figured he'll have more protection against it. Hasn't been fun though coz I've been feeling like shit.

LittleM - you are definitely doing right thing - you'll be making antibodies which will be passed to your dd via your breast milk.

alittlebitshy Sun 12-Jul-09 19:28:40

actually bouncingturtle that is one thing i was wondering about. if i were to come down with it, i assume it is best to feed ds (12 mo) although I am sure it would be more of an effort than normal cos of feeling ill. My only fear would be him being in such close proximity. Oh well, hoping none of us get it hmm.

BouncingTurtle Sun 12-Jul-09 19:40:19

Well I'm the only one who has come down with it fortunately. I wonder if it was because I was feeling a little bit run down to begin with due to period, and lack of sleep lately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now