Talk

Advanced search

14 month old wanting milk in the middle of the night

(3 Posts)
CuppaTeaJanice Sat 11-Jul-09 17:03:23

DS has always been a pretty good sleeper, and hasn't wanted a night feed since he was tiny.

I think he got a bit of heatstroke, or perhaps a tummy bug, a couple of weeks ago when we had that hot weather. The diarrhoea went after a couple of days and he seems fine in himself, but for the past week or so he's been waking up anytime between midnight and 2.30 wanting milk. He guzzles a 6oz bottle before going back to sleep, and still finishes his normal breakfast milk in the morning too.

During the day he has 3 6oz bottles - breakfast, lunch and tea, and 8oz for supper. He also has a beaker of water but he's not too keen and only sips at this.

He also seems a bit constipated, sitting and straining as his face goes bright red!

Does anybody have any ideas why he's suddenly thirsty during the night (it's not that hot) or advice to get him back to his normal routine so we can all get some sleep!!!

smile

Grumblestiltskin Sat 11-Jul-09 18:35:37

Maybe your son is going through a growth spurt! My son is eighteen months, he wakes up during the night and guzzles a full bottle of water. A few months ago he only accepted milk in the middle of the night.
I managed to get him off the milk by offering him cold water from a bottle, instead of a beaker. (the bottle seems to give him more comfort) Then during the day I give him water from a cup. Now he hardly wakes up at all and I often can leave the bottle in his cot. Then he just wakes up, drinks and goes back to sleep. Both my children seem to get thristy during the night no matter how much they drink during the day.

Not sure about the constipation stuff but it sounds like he needs more water. Have you tried dipping a fruit tea bag into the water to add a little bit of flavor. Again this worked for my eldest. Hope some of my waffle helps. Good Luck

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 12-Jul-09 12:24:16

Thanks - I'll try the fruit tea and bottles of water!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now