Talk

Advanced search

If you bfed when pg and had sore nipples, did they get better when the baby was born?

(21 Posts)
LeninGrad Sat 11-Jul-09 16:16:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 16:18:01

Yes - definitely - at points during pregnancy I was wincing every time DD latched on but once DS was born it was all fine (and no engorgement pain either!)

StealthPolarBear Sat 11-Jul-09 16:18:09

me too - Am 31 weeks, they seemed to get better for a while and are agony again now (mainly when latching on so that's not too bad I suppose). To the point where I cry out when he latches on! I'm assuming they will get better because my boobs are generally very sore - that will get better won't it?

StealthPolarBear Sat 11-Jul-09 16:18:30

x post THANK YOU wmmc

StealthPolarBear Sat 11-Jul-09 16:19:29

I'm sure I used to have completely pain free feeds (don't think I'd have got this far if not) but I find it hard to believe iyswim.
As well as the feeding there's the nipple twiddling which is worse as that hurts all the time - although it did prompt me to get his nails cut last night

idontbelieveit Sat 11-Jul-09 16:20:31

Yes, it was awful feeding dd1, I had terrible pain but as soon as dd2 arrived the feeding was very easy and I could barely feel her latched on because her suck was so weak compared to dd1. I had some engorgement but very mild compared to the first time.smile

LeninGrad Sat 11-Jul-09 16:27:35

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 16:33:53

LeninGrad - the HV suggested I allocate a boob a babe to prevent cross infections <snurk> grin

StealthPolarBear Sat 11-Jul-09 17:11:20

OK stupid tandem feeding question # 1
I know there's no need to wash boobs between children, but what if older child has a streaming snotty cold? Or D&V? Do you wash then?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 17:29:08

Nah, I'm afraid each child will get it - however the baby will get more colds because your older child will have some immunity to some things. Oh and you get twice as many as well. Breast milk has antibacterial properties as well so your boobs get a wash with the milk while they are feeding in any case (especially if you have a dribbler in the family grin)

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 17:34:13

However both children will recover quicker, so that's a bonus. Recently DS got a very severe viral illness but DD didn't so I guess it really depends on the bugs.

Grendle Sat 11-Jul-09 18:09:13

I had excruciating pain feeding ds during pregnancy at times, and it was never better than uncomfy. it was so demoralising after having worked so hard to get to pain-free happy breastfeeding that had at that point lasted many months. After dd was born, the sensitivity continued for 4-5 days (milk came in on day 2-3) and it was the same for feeding both children. Then overnight it vanished, and all was comfy againsmile. It was SUCH a relief!

I'm not 22 weeks pregnant and feeding dd 1-2 times a day. It isn't (yet) as painful as it got with ds, but it still isn't fun. Hopefully it will improve promptly like last time once the new baby arrives.

I never washed any boobs between children. The toddler will drool on the baby anyway (and sneeze, kiss, cough, poke etc) so bodily fluids will get shared even in a non tandem feeding family. Thankfully neither child has really had proper D&V yet.

Grendle Sat 11-Jul-09 18:10:07

now not not blush

LeninGrad Sat 11-Jul-09 18:23:16

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 19:44:58

Leningrad - I had first and third trimester breast tenderness but the second was peachy hmm. It seems totally random. But DS is a year next week shock so I've been tandem feeding for that long and it never hurts now

LeninGrad Sat 11-Jul-09 19:47:54

whomovedmychocolate Sat 11-Jul-09 20:36:23

Oh and I also found it hard to tell when DS was suckling because newborns are so gentle compared to tots!

mumofmaniacs Sat 11-Jul-09 20:38:11

Totally fine. Was only sore during pregnancy for 4-6 weeks early 3rd trimester but all was fine when DC2 came

LeninGrad Sun 12-Jul-09 19:49:47

StealthPolarBear Sun 12-Jul-09 21:43:18

ooh yes, I'll have 3 please

StealthPolarBear Sun 12-Jul-09 21:44:12

tonight as ds was feeding I asked if he wanted to swap sides, as I usually do. He reached out, had a good long squeeze of the other one and then said yes hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now