Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeing a sick baby - a ramble and some questions please

(3 Posts)
kazbeth Fri 10-Jul-09 19:24:05

Sorry this is probably going to come out in a bit of a ramble as I'm not really 'with it' as I'm ill,

My 6 month old is ill as well at the moment (eldest had flu so we think we're coming down with it as well).

My youngest has taken to feeding all night over the last 2 nights - presumably because she doesn't feel too good or is it a growth spurt? She'll feed at least every hour which means I get no sleep at all (despite co sleeping) and I'm now absolutely shattered and in dire need of some sleep.

She won't take a bottle - I've tried. I'm not able to express much but am persevering because I'd like my husband to be able to give her the odd feed just so I can get a bit more sleep. How often should I be pumping?

Should I be trying to give a bottle or is this going to interfere with supply if it's a growth spurt? Should I try to give her formula (hasn't taken any for the last 3 months at least) but should we keep trying or will breastmilk make her better in which case should I just keep going with the night feeds.

I also have a 3 year old to look after so can't just stay in bed all day (I wish )

Thanks

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 21:55:46

It sounds like she feels awful and is comfort feeding. If it is any comfort to you you will be reducing the time she is ill!

I wouldn't bother with the pumping. If you can't feed her all night it doesn't matter, this is probably not a long term issue. I always find by the third night mine have got over whatever and just sleep (which keeps me alive frankly when I've had no sleep).

If it IS a growth spurt btw, that two day feeding frenzy will have been enough to up it.

Hope you feel better soon

kazbeth Sat 11-Jul-09 10:02:30

Thanks whomovedmychocolate.

I've not bothered pumping so far today and I think I'll stop with the solids for a few days .. do you think that's a good idea? She's only recently started so not that relient on them yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now