Talk

Advanced search

Why have my nipples started going white after a feed? It is very painful.

(7 Posts)
HumphreyCobbler Fri 10-Jul-09 19:03:01

They don't change colour straight away, but after a minute or so. It is like all the blood suddenly goes away. They don't always do it.

Is is a bad latch? DD is nine months and I have had lots of problems including about five bouts of mastitis in two months.

She feeds a lot in the evenings and often during the night, but she has a terrible habit of pulling off and turning away to fall asleep, could that be the problem?

LackaDAISYcal Fri 10-Jul-09 19:06:43

Sounds like it might be vasospasm, which is usually down to a bad latch. There is more information on kellymom

The pulling off shouldn't be a problem I don't think, as she has finished feeding. My DS pulls off quite emphatically sometimes.

Also, I don't know if it's normal or not, but my DS is 8 months now and his latch has definately changed since he has got his first two teeth. I am having to relatch him several times before he gets the hang of it again, like in the early days.

Sparklytwinkletoes Fri 10-Jul-09 19:09:16

Mine did this during my first pregnancy, it was vasospasm / reynauds syndrome. You might find that if you have a warm piece of material that you can immediately cover your nipple with that it may help?

HumphreyCobbler Fri 10-Jul-09 19:30:19

Thank you, am impressed it has a name!

Will phone bfc soon as possible to sort out the latch.

LeninGrad Sat 11-Jul-09 16:09:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 11-Jul-09 16:51:21

Afraid I don't know, but I HAVE followed the tip about putting something warm on afterwards (hot water bottle) and the difference is amazing! It felt so much better.

Def give it a try.

LeninGrad Sat 11-Jul-09 18:03:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now