Talk

Advanced search

11wk refusing milk

(6 Posts)
melandAmelia Fri 10-Jul-09 17:00:22

please help. 11wk girl loved her milk (always had bottles of both e.b.m and formula)in last week just screams whenever i offer food even when showing signs of hunger. not unwell but does keep rolling tongue to 1 side a lot during day.has she just found a toy in her tongue or should i be worried? she was taking 5 and half oz but now lucky if she takes 3 at a time.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 10-Jul-09 21:51:59

Sounds like she has a tooth coming. Try not to worry too much. They do weird stuff like this all the time and it generally means nothing. If she seems well she is probably just a bit sore on one side of her mouth if there is a tooth coming through.

ttalloo Mon 13-Jul-09 13:08:59

It's possible she has acid reflux - my first son loved his milk but at around six weeks began screaming in agony and arching his back while both bottle- and breast-feeding. It turned out he had acid reflux which made him feel awful about feeding because he kept burping up acid. He reacted by feeding his way through the pain, because the milk alleviated the sensation of acid, but many babies just associate feeding with pain and therefore stop doing it and scream a lot instead. It might be worth seeing your GP about it. If it is reflux it's easily fixed with SMA staydown formula (a cross between polyfilla and milk), or in more severe cases they give infant Gaviscon and other medication. Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Dubbs Mon 13-Jul-09 13:44:12

OMG this is exactly what my little boy is doing (11 weeks tomorrow!). I'm really worried about it, he's gone from having nearly 30 - 35oz a day to 20 - 25 on the las week too and only had 17oz in the last 24hrs.

I saw a nursery nurse this morning (no HV available near me) and was told not to worry that as long as he seems normal it's fine - but I'm not comfortable with this at all hmm
he's just started crying after 5.5hrs sleep and then only had 4oz.

ttalloo Mon 13-Jul-09 19:45:42

Hmm, I'd go straight to the doctor with a baby that has stopped feeding normally, even if it's for no apparent reason, especially when they are still only 11 weeks old.

nannynz Mon 13-Jul-09 22:31:35

Could they need the next teat size up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now