Talk

Advanced search

Planned CS and bfing

(18 Posts)
LeninGrad Fri 10-Jul-09 16:38:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mummygirl Fri 10-Jul-09 16:45:34

I personally didn't have a problem, I was actually lactating long before my cs.

A cs MIGHT mean that there is some delay in the production of colostrum and then milk, but we're only talking a few hours. Your newborn will be happy simply being on your breast

HTH

LeninGrad Fri 10-Jul-09 16:50:54

auntyspan Fri 10-Jul-09 16:53:03

I had an semi-elective CS with DD2 who was a week early and had a much easier time with bf than I had with DD1, who was an emergency CS and 10 days overdue.

My milk took 5 days to come in with DD1 and only 3 days with DD2.

sarah293 Fri 10-Jul-09 16:56:17

Message withdrawn

MrsHappy Fri 10-Jul-09 17:00:15

It's the removal of the placenta that stimulates things so you should be fine.

LeninGrad Fri 10-Jul-09 19:19:29

HeadFairy Fri 10-Jul-09 19:22:16

I also had a planned cs and had no problems bfing. DS was born on thursday lunchtime, quite sleepy all day and night - fed about every three hours, fed a lot on Friday, every hour on Friday night, then milk came in good and proper on Saturday morning (had been colostrum until then, not nothing iyswim) so to me that's about normal.

LeninGrad Fri 10-Jul-09 19:25:41

MrsHappy Fri 10-Jul-09 19:41:01

Syntometrine, which is synthetic oxytocin IIRC.
Don't know if they use that to get the placenta out with a CS or not...

TrudyVotion Fri 10-Jul-09 19:52:21

Hi. I've had a planned CS and an emergency. With the planned DD wasn't put to the breast for hours and that caused us a fortnight of problems before we established feeding, but with the emrgency DS was put to the breast within 45 mins and had the idea from the first suck, so IME it's getting the baby to the breast fairly fast that is the key. Also make sure you have lots of skin-to-skin contact with the baby asap.

Hope all goes well.

purplejennyrose Fri 10-Jul-09 20:50:30

Hi
Like others above, I had a planned c-section at 39 weeks with my second daughter. She fed as soon as we got into the recovery room, so at about 40 mins old, and carried on from then like an old hand. Fed and fed and fed and I had loads of milk. It helped that I'd b/fed before though, and knew just to keep her close by and let her feed non-stop.

BTW, no injection for the placenta, they just scoop it all out by hand.

Good luck!

GentlyDoingIt Fri 10-Jul-09 21:11:13

I was blessed with a very enlightened midwife in my recovery room after c-section (took nearly an hour to stitch me up, so I was worried I had missed the window of opportunity).

She put DD on my tummy a couple of inches from my breast and asked me to let her try to find the nipple herself. I remember thinking "newborns can't move, you are clearly a bonkers midwife," but whaddya know, clever lassie kind of opened her eyes and crawled up my tummy like a marine going under a cargo net and latched on herself.

She didn't crawl again for 8 months. Quite extraordinary! Her latch was never, ever a problem and I think it was down to that introduction.

Consider taking an extra couple of pillows into hospital for your comfort whilst breastfeeding.

After your section, while you're still on drip & catheter, you will need people to pass you the baby for feeds. I cannot stress enough how important it is to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible before you take the baby into your arms, with weight well balanced across your bumcheeks and no pulling feelings on your scar. Make sure the bell is within reach while you are breastfeeding, too, as trying to get up post-section with a baby in your arms is impossible for the first 12 hours.

Good luck, you'll be grand!

FairLadyRantALot Fri 10-Jul-09 21:15:17

I had an emergency C-section after labouring to 10 cm dilation...so...might be slightly different,although it took a bit longer for my milk to come in etc...but I just kept putting my son on at every opportunity and that worked for me...

think , that as you are still bf'ing anyway you should be fine!

Best of luck!

purplejennyrose Fri 10-Jul-09 21:22:05

Oh, just thought, try and get a cot that clips on to the side of the bed the first night in hospital - so you can just slide the baby across to you / co-sleep more safely.

LeninGrad Sat 11-Jul-09 15:27:45

LeonieSoSleepy Sun 12-Jul-09 15:56:34

Message withdrawn

LeonieSoSleepy Sun 12-Jul-09 15:58:54

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now