Talk

Advanced search

do i really need to make powder feeds up as required??

(19 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Fri 10-Jul-09 16:00:29

Message withdrawn

Lulumama Fri 10-Jul-09 16:02:57

guidelines do recommend that each formula feed is made with freshly boiled water, cooled for not more than 30 minutes. there have been lots of threads about it, including advice on how to manage when out and about.
might be easier to stick to ready made for night feeds?

AngelaCarleen Fri 10-Jul-09 18:08:14

I think there was a scare with babies becoming ill after feeds were made up in advance and not kept cold enough. I think you're alright fill the bottles with water and then just add the powder when your ready to feed (I'd do it after you've heated the water a bit, or the powder just clumps).

diedandgonetodevon Fri 10-Jul-09 18:11:44

As Lulumama says.

Do not add to cooled water- the heat is needed to kill any bugs as the powder is not sterile.

Lulumama Fri 10-Jul-09 18:13:37

it was not to do with the feeds not being kept ccold enough, but that formula is not sterile and making it with cold water was not killing bugs in it

there is a leaflet you can get about making up feeds safely

lou031205 Fri 10-Jul-09 18:14:57

AngelaCarleen - that isn't the case. It is a risk because formula feeds are not sterile, so unless the feeds are made with water over 70 degrees C, and cooled rapidly, the bacteria can thrive. Milk is a particularly good breeding ground for bugs.

Cyradis, you can keep cooled boiled water in the fridge, and simply add the powder to, say, 2 fl oz of water over 70 degrees C, then top up with the cooled boiled water, and give immediately.

lou031205 Fri 10-Jul-09 18:15:28

Lots of x-posts, sorry.

georgep Fri 10-Jul-09 21:39:56

My best purchase was a Thermos flask for nightfeeds. Boil your kettle water leave for 30 minutes and put in thermos. This will remain at temp for 6 hours. If more than one feed - redo at next feed.

I got really stressed reading all the dos and donts but this just sorted things for me.

minesacheeseandpicklesandwich Sat 11-Jul-09 21:12:25

Can I just ask about the pots you can buy to keep portions of powder in to add to boiled water when you're out and about? I'm really confused now.

Think I might just resort to the ready made stuff and a sterilised bottle when we're out. DP agrees but then he thinks anything for an easy life, even if it isn't cheap!

sleepymommy Sat 11-Jul-09 21:17:56

We used to make 6 bottles in the morning with boiled water, cool them rapidly under the tap, keep them in the fridge and heat them in a jug of hot water when required. My babies were never ill.
What is wrong with this method? I thought that's what everyone did.

cbmum Sat 11-Jul-09 21:26:48

I do exactly the same as sleepymommy has explained and my daughter has not had any problems. I got confused when switching to bottle feeding too but a friend of a friend who is paediatrician recommended making up bottles in a batch each day then cooling them rapidly as it saves time and it probably less likely to introduce bugs as you do it all in one lot. I put our bottles straight into the fridge when made then put the fridge on fast cool.

CherryChoc Sat 11-Jul-09 22:56:57

This is the info you need to know. It should be on the pakaging, angry that it is not!

Basially the powder is not sterile, it can't be as the minute you open the tin it can be ontaminated by anything in the air. The dry powder on its own is not a good plae for bateria to grow so it isn't a problem. The problem is that when made up with water, warm formula provides a perfet environment for bateria to grow, so any bugs in the powder an multiply to dangerous levels.

You can redue the risk by making it up with water between 70 and 100 degrees C, whih kills most of the bateria in the powder. However it doesn't kill all of them so the best solution is to feed straight away, then any bugs that are left will be in such small amounts they are very unlikely to cause any problems.

If you don't feed it straight away, any bugs will start multiplying and the longer it is left the more they will multiply. They will multiply fastest in warm milk, less quikly if it's in the fridge (but still enough to be a risk if there was anything nasty in there).

The ready made stuff does not have these issues as it is sterile.

HTH (Also sorry about the spelling, my C key is a bit broken)

CherryChoc Sat 11-Jul-09 22:58:30

Oh and with the portion things, I would either take a thermos flask or see if you an get some freshly boiled water from a cafe etc to make up bottles or just make it with ool boiled water and feed straight away.

georgep Sun 12-Jul-09 16:48:06

Yeah the portion things are useful as you don't have to take the whole box of formula out with you. Also handy at night if you want to make the feed up upstairs (using your handy thermos flask!) and cool under bathroom tap (our bathroom is downstairs so that never worked for me!!).

I think you will find most people say - my baby was never ill - whatever methods people are using BUT as this was my first baby it felt right to follow the new instructions.

Be warned my DS used to drink the ready made stuff but has gone off it so don't rely on it being the solution!!

Most importantly - don't stress - what works for one doesn't work for another but will still be okay! And if it's not - try something else!

Dubbs Mon 13-Jul-09 14:05:27

I was told by my HV it was ok to make up bottles of cooled boiled water, then add formula later when required. This works for us, but she hadn't said to cool the water rapidly. I'm starting to wonder if this is necessary? I've stored the bottles of water at room temperature for a good few hrs, then warmed it slightly then added formula - is this wrong???

tiktok Mon 13-Jul-09 14:12:16

Shocking that the HV is confused, too, Dubbs shock

Cooled boiled water is not safe. Room temperature is not safe.

The water needs to be no cooler than 70 deg C at the point of mixing in order to kill the bacteria in the powder, which is there whatever you do. The main bacteria are salmonella and enterobakter sakersakii.

www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_100887

It's up to people what they do in their own home but babies do get sick from incorrectly made up formula and a tiny handful of them die.

brettgirl2 Mon 13-Jul-09 17:26:59

I do what lou says. Make the milk double concentrate with freshly boiled water then dilute with cold water from the fridge. That way is about as inconvenient as making a cup of tea. I use ready made for going out.

I personally hate the idea of reheating ones that have been in the fridge.

It must be safer to just dilute into cooled water though and use immediately however, because that way the bacteria don't have time to multiply.

Dubbs Mon 13-Jul-09 18:57:52

Thanks for the advise tiktok, I'll read this through and ammend our habits, certainly don't want to take any chances!

CyradisTheSeer Sat 18-Jul-09 21:47:01

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now