Talk

Advanced search

Second "let down" whilst feeding - is this ok???

(4 Posts)
GreenFingeredMummy Thu 09-Jul-09 15:07:11

My ds is 4 wks and Ive noticed that Im starting to have what feels like a second let down relfex after 10-20mins of feeding. First happens really quick (and can be quite messy!!!) then he feeds and sleeps for a while, then I can feel the tingling again (ouch).
Has this happened to anyone else? Im not too fussed but the unused breast does end up larger this way as it fills again at the second let down.
We're also into major cluster feeding at the mo, with a gap of 60-90 mins between feeds. Longer if I can actually manage to get him to sleep...

TheProvincialLady Thu 09-Jul-09 15:11:38

We can have many let downs during a feed and it is no problem at all, in fact your baby will be pleased! The second breast filling up thing will start to calm down as your breasts stop making milk to store and go over to a more supply and demand system, usually around about 6 weeks.

Some people feel their letdowns and some don't - mine come and go - but thankfully most of the ouchiness goes too after the first few weeks.

GreenFingeredMummy Thu 09-Jul-09 15:18:52

Thanks PLday. I bf my dd but stopped after a few weeks so determined to do it this time round. Its all very different with my ds, esp the ouch factor - like severe pins and needles !!

Its unbelievable how confusing bf is in the first couple of months. Cant wait to get passed it all wink

TheProvincialLady Thu 09-Jul-09 18:13:55

I know what you mean. I couldn't feed DS1 at all and so when I started BF DS2 I was a bag of nerves even though actually everything was going well. I found that after the first 6-7 weeks everything fell into place and it has been a piece of cake ever since. Now my DS2 is 6 months and I am so pleased that it has worked out this time. It could not be easier.

Congratulations on your DSsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now