Talk

Advanced search

breast supports for large breasts and small baby

(9 Posts)
redtabby Thu 09-Jul-09 12:39:32

Hi
I am having some problems with consistent positioning and latching, partly, I think due to my large boobs and very tiny baby (he was 4lb, is now over 6lb but still really teeny). He often tends to slip off, or we find it hard to get him in the right position, this makes him frantic and things just get worse! I have a variety of the special cushions and pillows etc, which help to an extent, and some of the time, but we still come up against this problem daily.

Today I happened to be wearing a nursing top that opens by pushing part of the (stretchy type) material down under your boob. Immediately I noticed thigs seemed a little easier, as my boob was a bit pushed up and supported by the material, and the positioning just worked better. I was even able to feed him hands free!

I had a look on the Net around this subject and notice that Dr Jack Newman mentions possibly using a sling made out of a bandage for large breasts. Has anyone tried this? I also found two products in this line: the Cushie Pushie (a support cusion for the boob) from the US, and the Booby Booster (a sling) from Australia. It does not seem either one is readily available here.

I wondered if anyone has tried any of these methods, or has any tips for others, and whether anyone knows if these products are available here (or has one they are finished with and could sell me?). I would be grateful for any discussion/input around this topic!

Thanks

Redtabby

TigerFeet Thu 09-Jul-09 12:46:49

I found that rolling up a tea towel and popping it under my breast helped enormously. I also used a breastfeeding cushion so that dd's head was about level with my nipple. A friend of mine who also has large breasts found that a rugby ball hold was far easier than across the stomach.

HTH

JackieNo Thu 09-Jul-09 12:50:17

I had the same large breasts problem (dd wasn't as small as your DS). The BF clinic I visited did use stretchy bandages as supports, but what worked best for me was just to use my 'free' hand to support the breast underneath. Have you seen a BF counsellor? Seeing someone in rl can be really helpful, as they can actually watch what you're doing, and suggest things that might help.

TigerFeet Thu 09-Jul-09 13:02:41

It was a lovely midwife on the postnatal ward that advised me to roll up a flannel to prop my breast up... I was really struggling to get a latch until then. Unfortunately a flannel got rather lost blush and I had to graduate to a teatowel or a hand towel grin

Khara Thu 09-Jul-09 13:12:23

I had a small soft toy dedicated to stuffing under my breasts when feeding dd - or when I couldn't find it, a pair of rolled up socks (clean obviously!)

katylou25 Thu 09-Jul-09 13:28:36

I used the rolled up tea towel method too - also handy for soaking up the spillage from rather spluttery ds2!!!

redtabby Thu 09-Jul-09 16:34:45

After some more research I have now found where I can get the Booby Booster, which is a breast sling thing invented by an Australian woman, I have just spoken to her very nice auntie here in Suffolk, who has some of them and ordered one. I will report back on how it goes! If anyone wnats the phone number let me know. Meanwhile will try the teatowel I think!

LeonieSoSleepy Sun 12-Jul-09 16:04:27

Message withdrawn

TamTam29 Mon 13-Jul-09 20:57:15

i used my other hand with DS! but now i have worked out that I can sort of rest/prop my boob up on my arm if ds2 is in a cradle hold. However, my DS makes 3 of yours (10pound at birth)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now